Diesel engine options for an XJ/MJ

terrawombat

Although I have not yet finished my 5.9L V8 MJ, I've begun thinking and planning my next build. I'm still undecided on whether it will be an XJ or MJ, but I do know that I want there to be a diesel engine under the hood. I've been looking at various diesel engines, both past and present, and the prices seem to be all over the place. I'm thinking that I want one in the 200-250HP and 300+Ft-Lb torque range, but that often is hard to come by on the older diesels, especially the ones in abundance like the engine out of the Mercedes 300SD's. Some others I've looked into are the Inline-5 and V6's out of the Dodge/Mercedes Sprinter's - but then I'm looking at 4-6K for a very used powerplant.

Anyone have any other good suggestions and/or sources? I'd like to keep the weight down if possible. My main goals for the build are to build a reliable rig with moderate lift, occasional off-roading, and 25+ MPGs on the highway.

You need to rethink that HP requirement, 250hp and 300ft-lb of torque aint gonna happen.

150hp and 300 ft-lb is more likely.

A TDI mated to an AX15/nv3550 would be a decent swap, and you can get an mTDI setup for maybe 3k.

Of course there is the 2.8 crd, which is just about perfect on all criteria, but is a pretty complicated install.

My numbers were ambitious and likely a little on the high side for the size/weight of the vehicle they're going into.

I'll look into the VW TDI engines. I've ridden in a Jetta TDI multiple times and I've always thought it felt somewhat under powered - do those engines take well to simple turbo modifications?

This idea kind of came about when I saw a VM Motori engine on e-bay that the seller didn't know much about - but from the photos, it looked to be a 2.8L CRD. I was going to place a bid on it, but the listing was removed before the auction ended.

My numbers were ambitious and likely a little on the high side for the size/weight of the vehicle they're going into.

I'll look into the VW TDI engines. I've ridden in a Jetta TDI multiple times and I've always thought it felt somewhat under powered - do those engines take well to simple turbo modifications?

This idea kind of came about when I saw a VM Motori engine on e-bay that the seller didn't know much about - but from the photos, it looked to be a 2.8L CRD. I was going to place a bid on it, but the listing was removed before the auction ended.

You can do lots of modding on TDI's, but its still gonna be kinda a dog.

I know the auction you are talking about, I even talking to the guy on the phone for awhile, I wanted to buy it but the auction got pulled because he put "NOT CUMMINS" in the title.

After the auction was pulled he asked me if I wanted to buy it for $800, told him no thanks.

That was a 2.5 CRD, used, from a burned vehicle, I wanted it because it was lots of potential spare parts for my 2.5 CRD, but nothing on the engine was useful for the american 2.8 CRD.

I have been looking at a Cummins 4bt for my Comanche, although they are pretty heavy those hp and torque numbers would be easily met. Theres a good write up on 4btswaps.com of a yellow comanche with the 4bt, and he is reaching 30-35 mpg

Thanks for the replies. I'll check out the Superturbodiesel forums. I'm a member on the Diesel Bomber forums and have been doing a lot of reading over there as well.

The 4BT is an option, but that thing really is a pig. Also, those engines usually fetch a premium, even in so-so shape.

Look into the 6.5 Turbo from GM.

It will make the power you are looking for and are a decent motor if maintained properly. Our HMMWVs use them and they can get a 20K truck moving pretty good. Also the motor mounts from AA should bolt right to it. Not to mention a 4L80e is a strong trans that can be run on a stand alone TCM.

Look into the 6.5 Turbo from GM.

It will make the power you are looking for and are a decent motor if maintained properly. Our HMMWVs use them and they can get a 20K truck moving pretty good. Also the motor mounts from AA should bolt right to it. Not to mention a 4L80e is a strong trans that can be run on a stand alone TCM.

:ack: