4WD light came on....??

While running errands I started up my 4x4 88 and the "part time" indicator light was on but I was in 2H (np231). How do I reset this or what do I look for at the TC to ensure I am not driving around town in 4wd? The TC handle is all the way forward in 2H.

First of all, if you were in 4WD you'd know it whether the light worked or not!! It would buck and carry on every time you made a turn. The switch that turns the light on is under your coolant bottle. Has a vacuum line going to it, a wire and a blue and white dump valve attached to it.

wow, they must have changed that in 91, my switch for the light was attached to the vacuum motor attached to the axle.

when mine is on, the shift fork has moved the axle disconnect into the connected position, the light can be on, but the x-fer case would still be in 2x4. none of the engine power would be going to the front axle due to the x-fer case would not be sending it, but the front drive shaft would be rotating due to the front wheels rotating.

Thanks for responding but what do I have to do? This is my 1st 4wd truck and I have not used 4wd since I bought it a couple months ago. I'll look for a switch somewhere and when I find it, how do I flip it to "off"? Or is black tape over the light the common cure?

I see a vacuum line goes from 4wd actuator to this thing. Is this the switch?

I removed the switch from the firewall and cleaned up the bracket, ground wire, and electrical connector. I also replaced the vac line with new hose I already had. Put everything back together and the light was no longer on. :dunno:

I have the same problem with mine, will try to fix mine this afternoon. The other problem is when I do put it 4wd it will not come out unless it do a complete circle. I think the hub is no disengaging. Any thoughts?

thanks

I have the same problem with mine, will try to fix mine this afternoon. The other problem is when I do put it 4wd it will not come out unless it do a complete circle. I think the hub is no disengaging. Any thoughts?

thanks

Yeah. Do this and eliminate the crappy, unreliable front axle shift motor issues.

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/free-d ... 1-a-38629/

thanks

Back up for a few feet, it will take the load off the gears umn.gif