another comanche

a buddy of mines uncle has a Mj that he'll sale me. its 88 4 banger 5 speed. everything is toast but the tcase and the axles. now i was going to swap 4.0 aw4 (or something of the like) in but arent the motor mounts and firewall different in 4 bangers? would i have to mod anything? if its a straight swap ill get it but if not i might let this one go.

a buddy of mines uncle has a Mj that he'll sale me. its 88 4 banger 5 speed. everything is toast but the tcase and the axles. now i was going to swap 4.0 aw4 (or something of the like) in but arent the motor mounts and firewall different in 4 bangers? would i have to mod anything? if its a straight swap ill get it but if not i might let this one go.

I've never done this on a MJ, but I am thinking of a GM small block swap into my 89 Comanche if the 4.0 doesn't stop acting up, so I've researched what can reasonably be done in this area. Your firewall on an 88 will probably not be a problem and you shouldn't need a BFH, but the motor mounts will almost certainly not work. However, when considering the level of effort to do any swap, replacing motor mounts should not be that big a deal.

If you have the experience or someone who knows whats involved, go for it. I'd probably just replace the 4 banger and tranny with another for almost the same result with a lot less hassle.

-mel

Find yourself a '87-'90 XJ donor. Swap everything you need, sell whats left. It's a bolt up.

even a 4.0 in place of the 4 banger?

It's a bolt up... But you have to change everything else to support it IE: wiring harness computer etc.

Suggest not even attempting without a donor vehicle to work with, and to pull all the rest of the parts you will need.