RENIX CPS ALERT

RENIX CPS ALERT

High altitude CPS for Renix has been discontinued by Chrysler.

The part number is 53005421 and using this CPS advances your ignition timing about five degrees .

There are only about 120 of these available in the US as of November 23, 2011.

Dealer price is around $50.

I understand that some aftermarket companies still offer them. The problem has been the unknown quality of the off-shore sensors, their high failure rate, and how often they're bad right out of the box because they don't generate a strong enough signal..

There were 126 of them on the day before thanksgiving.

As you posted above.

Thanks to your heads up, I decided to get mine while I could. If there were 126 on the 23rd and 100 on the 28th, with a holiday in the interim, that tells us they won't last long. If you want/need one, act now.

• 4 weeks later...

Actually, it won't give any better performance. It can't. The Renix system has a knock sensor and it's set to run at the maximum advance that doesn't produce knock. As soon as the sensor detects knock, it retards the timing to stop it.

Since knock occurs under load, and since "performance" typically produces load, the knock sensor is going to be retarding the timing more with the high altitude CPS than with the standard one. Where it should produce benefits is in gas mileage if you're the type who drives with a light foot on open roads without too many mountains.