Rear Diff question..

In taking the r/r axle out to fix a leaking seal on the 87, I put it back together and had my son give a little gas while I checked for leaks. I assumed only one side would rotate but was surprised to find both wheels rotating at the same rate. This seems to be the original axle. Did the Mjs come with posi gearing on a 2wd or could it just be rotating because there is no weight on the axle?

They could easily just be rotating if both wheels were off the ground. With the trans in gear and the motor off, both wheels up in the air, try to turn one wheel. If it doesn't want to move, its either locked or has LSD. If it's open, which it most likely is, the other wheel will spin the opposite direction.

What axle is it?

If it had the tow package it may have LSD. If it had the 'street' trim package it may have the LSD. If it was special ordered it may have the LSD.

Dana will have a double letter in the BOM on the right axle tube....ie......KK

May have a tag that states to use LSD lube only on the cover.

Pull the rear cover and inspect.......carriers look different.

They could easily just be rotating if both wheels were off the ground. With the trans in gear and the motor off, both wheels up in the air, try to turn one wheel. If it doesn't want to move, its either locked or has LSD. If it's open, which it most likely is, the other wheel will spin the opposite direction.

Thanks. I did this and I have an open diff. :(