BIG Swap Help

Here's the pictures i promised you!

Found this pic online, this should clear a 4.0

Then i snapped a pic of one of mine, this one will not clear a 4.0. The difference is in the area above the transmission tunnel.

And finally a closep of how i made it fit in my other 86 using a BFH. I got about 1/4" clearance between the exhaus and the firewall, not quite as much as i would like but it works.

This is how i made the radiator fit

And a crappy pic of how i solved the crossmember problem, this is the drivers side.

It needs to be moved about 4" back and nothing is bolt on. I drilled holes straight trough the frame for the outher bolts (fully welded to the frame on both sides) and one of the inner bolts on each side i fixed to the original bracket. The inner-rear bolt on each side has nothing to bolt to, but it should be enough with just 3 bolts on each side. XJ's use only 2 after all.

This is about the only fabrications that has to be done, exept from shortening your rear driveshaft. The rest is just pain-in-the-@$$ wiring.

Btw, keep your original 4.10 axles. Mpg increase, if you actually get any, will not be worth the extra work. And its much more fun to drive! comanche.gif

if mpgs are important to you, don't lift it 6".

and you might even see a bump up in city mpgs with the 4.10s and stock tires. the deeper gears will help you get going off the line.

and if you go with 31s, you'll definitely want those 4.10s.

are both vehicles 4x4s?

quick-n-dirty way to check:

-jack up one of the rear tires

-put trans in neutral

-rotate tire around exactly twice while counting the number of times the driveshaft rotates

-if the driveshaft rotates 3 and a half times, it'll be 3.55... if it's just over 4 times: 4.10... etc.

if the rear axle has a posi, you'll need to jack up both rear tires and then rotate only once around.

:thumbsup:

Well as near as I can tell with that v6 in the way, I am going to have to show the firewall some love :wall:

But aside from that i think (hope) everything will fit alright. Tearin into the mj tomorrow after school, and going to start going through the 4.0 more thoroughly. There'll be a build thread posted, since i figure thats a better way to keep track of whats going on with it. I'll be sure to take lots of pics, because i know i'll need lots of help :shake:

• 1 year later...

Holy thread revival...

Didnt end up doing the 4.0 swap, decided that, for the labor involved, I'd rather put in a small block or a diesel, so my mj is just putting around with a tbi block 2.8 that I carb'd. Runs alright.

Yea, I know it's an old thread.. Just wasn't sure if you had some relevant pictures to aid in my "4.0 in an '86" swap lol.  I've become the dead thread revival king lately.

don't really think I do...but if your feeling adventurous feel free to browse my photobucket. May have something you can use?