hard Steering on a 99 xj

I thought that the only difference between the newer ones and the older ones was that the pumps ran at different pressures. Couldn't an older pump be put in to achieve more pressure and easier steering? Maybe it's not the pump but some sort of regulator that could be changed out? Just thinking out loud...

• 2 weeks later...

Steering effort is controlled by the spool valve in the box. The early XJs and MJs (like all AMC vehicles with power steering) were much TOO light, and had essentially zero road feel (i.e. tactile feedback). The late model XJs have a different calibration in the spool valve, so there is less power assist and better control and road feel.

So I'm going to see if the earlyer pump will fix the 99.

Please don't. It's not broken.

Eagle: in the gear BOX or the ps pump it's self.

Looking in my cataloges at work.The Grearbox are the same old and new , So I was going to try to put and older ps pump on my 99 and see what happends.

My understanding is that it's the spool valve in the power steering box itself. This is how, for example, Generous Motors was able to use the same basic box in Impala sedans and in Camaros and Firebirds, and still have "sport" steering in the pony cars. They just stiffened up the spool valve.

When you say they all have the same part number where you work -- do you work for a Jeep or other Chrysler dealer, or do you work in an aftermarket parts house? The parts chains don't know and don't care about the steering effort -- they sell refurbished Saginaw boxes and I'm sure they are all the same. If it'll bolt in -- it must be the right part.

Irrespective -- the newer XJs do have firmer steering than the old ones. I have two 2000 XJs, and I have an 87 MJ, an 88 XJ and and two 88 MJs, an 89 MJ, and some other heaps that I haven't ever driven. Both the 2000 XJs have firmer steering than any of the old ones, and the steering on the new ones is IMHO infinitely better than the old ones. The old ones are all OVER-boosted. (Which, as I commented above, was typical of American Motors.)

:agree: When I swapped in the 1999+ intake I also swapped in a newer PS pump from a 2004 Wrangler. The steering was considerably tighter than before and much more preferable to the light wishy-washy steering from the old pump. And NO, do not use anything in the PS reservoir other than the ATF it's designed for.