Rear shock upgrade

I did an an Add A Leaf in summer on my 90 MJ pioneer, but forgot to get longer shocks. I think that the my height is now minimized because I put the stock size back on.

Anyone know of a slightly longer / larger shock package that I could pick up? Like on a ford truck or Grand Cherokee?

TIA- PRL

The Monroe catalog is available on-line, and in the back is a tech data section that will give you the physical dimensions of each shock, and the mounting type.

I believe ZJ Grand Cherokee shocks are about right for a stock height MJ rear if you remove the cross pins. Don't know if they're long enough to be of much help with an AAL -- how much lift did you get (or expect)?

The other one I would look at is the shocks for a YJ Wrangler (the leaf spring version, not the newer TJ with 4-wheel coils).

Thanks for all the help- I do not know how much I gained, but I feel like I could get another inch or two with a longer shock.

Thanks- RL

...that would have to mean that your shock is fully extended at ride height. just sitting on the ground it is fully extended and your axle cannot move another inch down?

Thanks for all the help- I do not know how much I gained, but I feel like I could get another inch or two with a longer shock.

Thanks- RL

...that would have to mean that your shock is fully extended at ride height. just sitting on the ground it is fully extended and your axle cannot move another inch down?

My question exactly. The right way to approach this would be to not guess, but to remove the existing shocks -- or at least one end of each shock. That'll let the truck sit at whatever ride height the modified springs bring it to. Crawl underneath and measure the distance between the upper and lower studs.

That dimension should be as close as possible to the mid-point in the range of movement for the new shocks, equalizing the available up-travel and down-travel. You can find all those dimensions on the Monroe web site.

Which doesn't mean you have to buy Monroe shocks (although you could do worse). Once you find a shock with the right end fittings and the right length, you can then look up the shock number to see what vehicle(s) it fits. Once you know the application, you can shop any shocks for that application.