few questions

where is a good place i can get quality replacement lug nut studs for my D44?

the Aussie locker website said if i can change my own brakes then i can install their lockers, but i have also read that everything in there needs to be just so in order to work properly. is installing a locker something i can do my self or should i get a mechanic to do it for me?

the track bar mount on the drivers side frame by the engine, how do i replace it and how hard is it to do?

I have a np242 that i think is the cause of the horrid grinding noise when i turn, and i would like to rebuild it. i know there are a lot of rebuild kits out there for it but what rebuild kit would you recommend?

thanks

hopefully i will have a busy yet productive weekend

the aussie locker only replaces the spider gears and is pretty easy to install. lockers that replace the entire carrier unit (like the Detroit and the ARB) require re-setting up gears and is quite an involved process.

track bar bracket just unbolts.

still not sure why your 242 would make noises only in a turn if in 2wd. guess anything's possible though. rebuilding it is about as easy as a rebuild can get. :thumbsup:

http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_catalog ... np242.html

thanks, tonight after i get home from work i am going to remove the front drive shaft to see if maybe the rotation in the front shaft caused problems when turning, my guess it that the internal shifter in the 242 is damaged. so when i turn the front and rear shafts rotate at different speeds as it should but not properly. guess i will find out this weekend

This grinding noise you speak of ...... does it do it while in 2x4 or 4x4? Your front drive shaft doesn't/shouldn't turn while in 2x4. If it does it's likely your disconnect collar is stuck in the 4x4 position. If that's the case, your grinding noise could be an axle and or disconnect collar problem. Here's a good write up including pix on how it works. (or should I say supposed to work) http://www.cherokeetalk.com/forum/f64/m ... nect-1102/

Hope this helps. Good luck with it.

Robert

This grinding noise you speak of ...... does it do it while in 2x4 or 4x4? Your front drive shaft doesn't/shouldn't turn while in 2x4. If it does it's likely your disconnect collar is stuck in the 4x4 position.

If he has a 242 transfer case, there is no disconnect, and the front drive shaft does turn all the time. It just isn't always connected to the engine.

Unless he's running the 242 with the original MJ front axle. In which case, that would be a problem, because the 242 in full-time mode won't make the vehicle move if the front axle isn't connected. If it is the original axle, I would shim the disconnect so it's always engaged, then see if the grinding noise is still present. The disconnect is actuated by vacuum, and the 242 doesn't have a vacuum port.

This grinding noise you speak of ...... does it do it while in 2x4 or 4x4? Your front drive shaft doesn't/shouldn't turn while in 2x4. If it does it's likely your disconnect collar is stuck in the 4x4 position.

If he has a 242 transfer case, there is no disconnect, and the front drive shaft does turn all the time. It just isn't always connected to the engine. (Unless he's running the 242 with the original MJ front axle.)

the first thing was to lock the cad when i heard the grinding ( i had the 231 to start with but it was 21 spline)

the grinding sound only happens when i turn, 2wd or 4wd does not matter. i already checked the u joints. my last tranny and tc was a ba10 with 231, the ba10 died so i swapped to a 89 ax-15 and a 94 242. whose where the only things swapped.. the front axle was not making any noise when the old setup was working and i doubt sitting waiting for the tranny broke anything due to extreme boredom.. so the only thing i can think of is the 242 is damaged internally

If he has a 242 transfer case, there is no disconnect, and the front drive shaft does turn all the time. It just isn't always connected to the engine.

Unless he's running the 242 with the original MJ front axle.

Yeah, I assumed he had an original MJ axle. I thought his collar could be either stuck in the 4x4 position and consequently driving on the street damaged the splines or it's stuck out of position making the splines ratchet while turning.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.