alternator ?

i done a search but got conflicting info.my alt is on the way out and wanted to upgrade to the bigger factory 100 amp.if you have done this let me know if it worked.it's a 4.0 renix style.the truck has factory a/c but has the smaller alt. on it.i don't want to upgrade to the larger later model chrysler alternators,just use the larger factory style.

This won't work on a Renix since the alt isn't controlled by the ECU. It has an external regulator.

OP, you need to shop for the Delco CS-130 100A alt.

can be used as a wiring harness and voltage regulator replacement kit for any 1987 and earlier Chrysler Family vehicle alternator with dual insulated brushes.

It is a replacement for the existing external regulator.

Easy upgrade. If I remember correctly the smallest alternator was a 4.75" case and the larger one was the 5.25" case (68A and 125A perhaps??). My truck was A/C delete and sans HD cooling package so it came with the smallest alternator they had. Not only was the larger one an upgrade, it was cheaper too!! :clapping:

The hardest part about the upgrade was arguing with the genius at the parts store. He insisted he couldn't sell me the larger one. The only change to the truck was using a pry bar to open up the mounting ear on the bracket bolted to the engine. I had to pry it 3/8" or so farther apart to fit the new alternator in.

can be used as a wiring harness and voltage regulator replacement kit for any 1987 and earlier Chrysler Family vehicle alternator with dual insulated brushes.

It is a replacement for the existing external regulator.

Yeah, I can see that. Why do you think alternators are regulated?

So they don't fry trying to pump out more amps than they are capable of. I think installing this kit would be an unwise thing to do. And AFAIK, early Delco alts used in Renix era Jeeps did not have the dual brushes.

that's what i wanted to know.i'm going to order the larger one.i don't know why the truck had the smaller alt being to it had a/c but who knows.the truck has been in the family since it had 8k miles and was less than a year old so i doubt someone put the wrong alt. on it.thanks,guys