Factory speaker mounting diagrams

1. Might be going out on a limb, but I need a picture of how the factory speakers are setup on the doors, and behind the bench/buckets inside the B pillar. Why I need this is I need to figure out if I am going to have to weld a piece to fix the "chewed" part of the speaker mounting place. Not only that, there are about a dozen screw holes where the PO or POs tried to mount speakers, failing of course.

Refer to the picture below to see what my problem is. It's hard to explain adequately, so I made a crappy MS paint picture. Apologies if it's hard to follow.

Because of this dilemma, and the fact there are a dozen or so "new" speaker mounting holes in BOTH of my doors, I figure I'll have to mount the speaker to the tempered hardboard I replaced the factory stuff with.

2. The second problem I face is because I do not have the factory door "box surround" on the speakers, my speakers bulge over the outside and cause me to hit my window crank when I use it to roll the window up and down. Obviously, I'm getting tired of this, so any advice as to what to do? Other than getting new door panels and doing the restoration I already did to my own, of course. Anybody ever try to get the black top of the door panel off after Gorilla Gluing it? :rotf: :doh:

3. I saw door panels for the first time this past weekend without speaker mounts in them. Just an armrest and a window crank. So... where would the speakers have been mounted in those? I'm assuming behind the horizontal grill looking piece in the kneeboard? (Like in a Geo Tracker or some such small compact car)

--------------------

On an unrelated note, now would be a good time for my friend to sell me his XJ so I can pillage it for parts. :fs1: Too bad that won't be happening anytime soon.

There are a couple of other choices you might consider:

1) Take an old, junk door and cut out the section where the speaker mount is. Remove the screwserts (plastic nuts for the screws) and rivet the cut section over the existing one. It only adds about an 16th of an inch thickness, and will hold the new speaker without modifying the interior door panel at all.

2) Take a small section of 1/8 inch alumimum flat stock and cut a cresent in one side (to accomodate the curve of the speaker) Position it inside the door and rivet it across the area cut by the PO, aligning it where the speaker screw would go.

On the OEM interior door panels the speaker mounts flush with the metal of the door, behind the interior panel's plastic grill. The only thing I have seen behind the speaker is a water shield. I have seen the peaker covers you reference, but have never seen them out so far as to impede the window crank.

The B pillar speakers mounted in a 4x6 galvanized metal support which there are pictures of here in the forum. In fact, I believe Fiatslug was selling a pair.

Removing Gorilla glue...good luck with that.

There are a couple of other choices you might consider:

1) Take an old, junk door and cut out the section where the speaker mount is. Remove the screwserts (plastic nuts for the screws) and rivet the cut section over the existing one. It only adds about an 16th of an inch thickness, and will hold the new speaker without modifying the interior door panel at all.

2) Take a small section of 1/8 inch alumimum flat stock and cut a cresent in one side (to accomodate the curve of the speaker) Position it inside the door and rivet it across the area cut by the PO, aligning it where the speaker screw would go.

On the OEM interior door panels the speaker mounts flush with the metal of the door, behind the interior panel's plastic grill. The only thing I have seen behind the speaker is a water shield. I have seen the peaker covers you reference, but have never seen them out so far as to impede the window crank.

The B pillar speakers mounted in a 4x6 galvanized metal support which there are pictures of here in the forum. In fact, I believe Fiatslug was selling a pair.

Removing Gorilla glue...good luck with that.

Thanks for the advice. It's not so much the current speakers I have (4x6 $40 200w Pioneers) impead the crank, it's just that the crank keeps bumping into them and makes the screws holding them to the backboard become loose.

And yeah, Gorilla Glue. :no: :no: Definitely headed back to the JY this weekend.

Thanks for the advice. It's not so much the current speakers I have (4x6 $40 200w Pioneers) impead the crank, it's just that the crank keeps bumping into them and makes the screws holding them to the backboard become loose.

you have 4x6 in the door i want to see a pic of this

Hitting the crank was the reason I put power windows in

Makes sense, but I'm having a tough time scoring some decent power window setups. I know I could hit up a 4DR Chero. and snatch some, but It just seems a pain to remove everything to put it into my own setup. :dunno: :doh: