I need some help choosing some shocks for my MJ. i have a budget of about $200 because i still need to pay my mechanic after he finishes up the transmission work.. any way after i installed the MT springs it lifted it up a few inches in the rear, and now when i go over a hole the shock maxes out. My current shocks (as far as i can tell) are the factory 4x4 shocks. I know there are Hydro and Nitro shocks and thats about it. most of my driving it to and from work with some off roading a weekend here or there.

thanks

Check an Advanced Auto (if you have them in your part of the world) and see what Monroe shocks they have on sale. The Monroe web site has (or used to have) the full catalog online, and in the beck there's a listing of shocks by length and upper and lower mount type, so you can figure out what length you need then look up what shock(s) will fit by part number.

http://www.monroe.com/assets/downloads/ ... hSheet.pdf

I had the same issue, I was using XJ rear shocks which was fine with the regular springs but the extra uncompressed height after the MT springs was too much. I too was on a budget and went with the MJ Sensatracs for the rear, and I haven't had a problem since. Some useful info for you:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20179&p=206085&hilit=monroe#p206085

I'll also add it to my part number list: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28479&start=0&hilit=monroe

My advice is to buy a real good set of rear shocks, and keep an eye out on craigslist for the matching front pair (which interchanges with the XJ so they are plentiful). $200 should be plenty for a quality set. It's a snap to swap them too, just be careful not to overtighten on the rears or you'll twist the stud right off the frame!

Keep in mind the OP does not have a stock height truck. Stock shocks are too short.

What you need to do is measure the eye-to-eye distance when the truck is parked on level ground. That's going to be your mid-travel length. If you look at that Monroe link I provided, they give the compressed length and the extended length for each shock. Average the two and that's the mid-travel length for that shock. You want to find a stock number with upper and lower eyes for mounts that has a mid-travel length as close to your truck as you can find.

Once you know that, you can pick a Monroe shock if that will work for you, or go to a cross-reference table and find out what vehicle that shock fits. Then look up that vehicle in other shock brands.

The SensaTrac is an okay shock, but remember that it uses bypass grooves in the center portion of the shock bore to soften the ride over small bumps. Unless you really get pretty close to a perfect fit, they don't work as intended. And for the rear of a pickup, adding a load may take the shock out of the central zone. For Monroe, I'd go either one line cheaper, or step up to the Reflex series.

Keep in mind the OP does not have a stock height truck. Stock shocks are too short.

What you need to do is measure the eye-to-eye distance when the truck is parked on level ground. That's going to be your mid-travel length. If you look at that Monroe link I provided, they give the compressed length and the extended length for each shock. Average the two and that's the mid-travel length for that shock. You want to find a stock number with upper and lower eyes for mounts that has a mid-travel length as close to your truck as you can find.

Once you know that, you can pick a Monroe shock if that will work for you, or go to a cross-reference table and find out what vehicle that shock fits. Then look up that vehicle in other shock brands.

The SensaTrac is an okay shock, but remember that it uses bypass grooves in the center portion of the shock bore to soften the ride over small bumps. Unless you really get pretty close to a perfect fit, they don't work as intended. And for the rear of a pickup, adding a load may take the shock out of the central zone. For Monroe, I'd go either one line cheaper, or step up to the Reflex series.

should i remove the current shocks to ensure they are not limiting anything in the rear before i measure? and I do plan to use the truck to haul loads both in bed and on a trailer (thus the MT springs). so whatever i get i would want to accommodate towing or hauling something 2 or 3 times a month..

and again there are hydro and nitro shocks, hydro is cheaper but would nitro be better? getting measurements is pretty straight forward but choosing brand, model, and type is my biggest concern. I want a smooth ride, and something that can handle loads.. should i mix shock types, have something softer in the front and stiffer in the rear?

thanks

should i remove the current shocks to ensure they are not limiting anything in the rear before i measure?

Absolutely YES.

and again there are hydro and nitro shocks, hydro is cheaper but would nitro be better? getting measurements is pretty straight forward but choosing brand, model, and type is my biggest concern. I want a smooth ride, and something that can handle loads.. should i mix shock types, have something softer in the front and stiffer in the rear?

I would not mix types, brands, or series between front and rear. Shocks do NOT help you carry load. Springs carry weight -- shock absorbers control suspension bounce.

If you have a tight budget, go with the Monroe-Matic line (but see if you can find truck shocks with the right dimensions -- they'll have a bigger piston).