DIY tonneau cover?

Hey All,

Anyone have a DIY tonneau cover? I need something ULTRA inexpensive to get me through the winter. Needs to be fairly waterproof. I don't really want a topper (blind spots) and I don't want to drill the bed rail to mount anything. Clamps? Any ideas/input/PHOTOS?!? Thanks all!

-Erin

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure what you mean by a DIY Tonneau cover,

do you mean make your own tonneau frame & x-bars, then cut a vinyl cover to fit?

If you were going to all that trouble, better to just shop craigslist till you find something cheap, and close in size to make work.

Some of the Ford/Chevy covers are pretty close in size.

(I forget which, but this topic comes up every month, or so).

• 3 weeks later...

Hey All....after much research, I will be building my own tonneau cover out of PVC pipe and canvas. I will post photos as I progress. I should be able to do this for less than $50. The cover will not be "openable" but it will be removable and light weight. It will also be waterproofed, much like a canvas tent. My plan is to have a slight upward bow of a couple inches in the middle to flat on the ends. The canvas will have a drawstring of sorts sewn into the outer edge so it can be fastened around the pvc frame, and tightened up. Photo soon.

-Erin

:wavey: I bought the tonneau for my short-bed back in 2006 @ " Canadian Tire " they have a general listing based on box length . I'm sorry I don't remember the mfr. , but I imagine you could find same & J C Witney or the like .I made up 3 cross bars from elec. conduit pipe to avoid having a duck pond in wet weather :thumbsup: Gord

Ok....I got a better look at what they did to make the "hook and loop" cover, and I'm going to try it myself. The wife is pretty good at the sewing end of things. 2.5 yards of duck canvas will get the length I need, and is exactly 59" wide (the width of the truck box) I will post photos when its done. I am skipping the frame, and just doing the "supports" like in the photo above. Thanks for the photo!

-Erin

I have to wait to recharge the batteries in the portable impact before I ask for the address. :yes:

too late,

I'm in full Black-Ops/Ninja gear, creeping back home, with it in my duffel bag right now :wrench:

Nothing to see here folks, move along please. :yes:

I have to wait to recharge the batteries in the portable impact before I ask for the address. :yes:

too late,

I'm in full Black-Ops/Ninja gear, creeping back home, with it in my duffel bag right now :wrench:

Nothing to see here folks, move along please. :yes:

:clapping: O K whoever swiped my bumper ,please return my spare keys & license plate Please :rotf:

Haha....I think Jim did it. 8) BTW...Vaquaro....Thanks for the great photo. I have figured out how to make one, and still should cost less than $50. I'll make sure to post a photo when I get it done.

-E.

Just a hint for DIY project , the front is held in place with an aluminum "C" channel ( the same used to hold awnings on RV's ) which is fastened to the box front . The cover has a full width loop sew in with a plastic rod inserted in the loop . To install , just feed the front loop into the "C" channel , then attach the sides & tail-gate velcro strips . Speaking of velcro , let the strips set for no less than 48 hrs. at room temp. or you will be doing it again very shortly , I had to learn the hard way , just to impatient . :cheers:

I was going to go velcro all the way around. I will consider the C-channel though. It may be hard to find around here in the city.

-E.

p.s.- I saw those canvas "toppers" while browsing...the folding mechanism looks like a bear to make. :nuts:

Edit: Where does the C-channel mount? On the top of the bed rail? OR?

Vaquaro, I gotta know how does your "C-Channel" mount on to the front rail? I can see no easy way to mount somthing like that unless it was attached to an angled piece of aluminum and bolted through the top. There is simply not enough room to get between the cab and the box?!?

-E.

Update....At Home Depot....I found 72" long fiberglass rod, and galvanized steel J-hooks in the garden center.....The J-hooks will mount on the inside edge of the front rail, and the rod will be inside the end of the canvas at the front end. The J-hooks will hold down the canvas and the rod. the canvas will wrap over the top of the J-hooks.....Photos soon (I hope) So far, minus labor, I'm at $49! I still have to get some waterproofing, which will be $20 or less at the local West Marine. Not under $50, but probably not more than $70. :jump: