Traction -- need traction

Eagle

I agree. Get a good pair of snow tires, have them studded if you'll be driving on ice and forget about an automatic locker.

The locker will give you two drive wheels on the rear axle. Problem is that when one spins you don't have one left to keep you tracking straight. They both spin and every turn on snow will result in a fish tail.

Trac-lok would be great if you can find one.

I would prefer a Trac-Lok, but the fact is when it's slippery there isn't enough traction for a Trac-Lok to UNlock, so it might as well be a locker. Gents, I know you mean to be helpful, but I'm 67 years old and I've been driving in snow for longer than most of you have been alive. I know how to do it, and weight and tires are NOT the answer. I need a traction device ... I just don't want to shell out $400 for a new diff to drop into a $100 truck.

PS - there you go with the sanctimoniousness again. :fs2:

:huh???:

If that's a reference to my taking issue with a couple of responses, I don't think I'm being sanctimonious. I didn't ask for advice; I asked for a part. It's not only this forum, it seems to be almost standard on most Internet forums. Someone posts up a very specific request, saying, "I have identified a specific need for ___." And immediately 17 gazillion people chime in, "I don't know where you can find a ___ but what you really need is ***."

Frankly, I think such behavior is just plain rude. It isn't responsive to the question, and it serves no purpose. Why waste bandwidth offering an answer that is unrelated to the question? If you want sanctimonious, IMHO the epitome of being sanctimonious is assuming that you know what someone you've never met and know very little about needs better than he does.

[/rant]

I would prefer a Trac-Lok, but the fact is when it's slippery there isn't enough traction for a Trac-Lok to UNlock, so it might as well be a locker. Gents, I know you mean to be helpful, but I'm 67 years old and I've been driving in snow for longer than most of you have been alive. I know how to do it, and weight and tires are NOT the answer. I need a traction device ... I just don't want to shell out $400 for a new diff to drop into a $100 truck.

Eagle,

Not to change the subject but I am glad there is someone on here older than me (47). :jump:

Eagle,

Not to change the subject but I am glad there is someone on here older than me (47). :jump:

HoHum, 76 here but back to the subject. Having drove both straight axles, posi-loc, posi trac, limited slip, locker I feel they all have their place. Some are better under certain conditions than others. I personally feel you can't beat studded snow tires along with 400lbs dead wt in the bed, irregardless of the axle. And a easy touch on the gas pedal when appropriate.

I have to state the obvious. A guy asks if anyone has a trac-lok for sale. Instead he gets driving lessons. This is hilarious.

Don,

Doesnt this post needs moved to the tech section? :rotfl2:

On a technical note, this is new to me. I didnt realize Jeep offered trac-lok for a d35. In '87, if you got a trac-lok on a comanche, it needed a D44. :dunno:

On a technical note, this is new to me. I didnt realize Jeep offered trac-lok for a d35. In '87, if you got a trac-lok on a comanche, it needed a D44. :dunno:

Trac-Lok was always an option from the factory, regardless of which axle you got.