electric brake set up

Hello

I am looking into installing an electric brake set up in my truck. It's a 88, 4.0. 4x4. I plan on renting a pop-up trailer from the base. I was told that I must have an electric brake controller and a seven round plug with flat blades. Then I was told it would be $100 to install plus parts because there is no hook up for it to just plug in. The trailer is only $40. Has anybody done this before if so which controller did you use, which harness and plug and where did you buy it. I'm sure I can do this myself just need some help.

Thanks in advance.

There is no 'plug and play' set-up for your Comanche.

You are going to have to splice the taillight wires to get lights for the trailer plug, and wire the 4 wires on the brake controller itself in.

Each controller is a little bit different, the instructions will tell you how to wire the individual wires on it. But normally a blue wire is the brake signal to the trailer. You will have to run that one from the controller to the 7-pin plug. Just follow the wiring diagram on E-trailer. 7-pin flat, is also called 7-pin RV.

There was pre-wired trailer tap available for our trucks at one time. You unplugged the tail light harness on the left side and plugged it into the tap.. then plugged the tap into the cross harness. This gave you a 4-pin plug. But it was a easy job to take that and wire it into the 7-pin RV with the diagram on E-trailer. I have no idea if they are still available now.