Speedometer failure

So, as the name implies, my speedometer isn't working. I looked under the truck at the tranny and it seems that there is absolutely no connection to the speedometer gear underneath but it seems to be a wire connection. Where does it connect to? I'm unsure about this because I have a transplant engine and transmission on the truck, and it came from a later year xj. It has a full gauge cluster on it, but I always remember it being a cable attachment and not a wire...

My cable (88) got yanked out of the little key on the speedo gear in the transfer case when I was working on the gauge cluster. I just grabbed the tip with some needle nosers and carefully worked the square end back into the square hole, didn't have to replace cable or gear.. :clapping:

On a related note, are the cables from the MJ and XJ the same length?

Yes, but 2wd and 4wd cables are not the same length. 2.5 cables may also be different lengths, and there's also the differences between cruise and non-cruise cables. You're looking at 4-8 different cables, so try to get as close as you can when you get a replacement.

On a related note, are the cables from the MJ and XJ the same length?

Yes, but 2wd and 4wd cables are not the same length. 2.5 cables may also be different lengths, and there's also the differences between cruise and non-cruise cables. You're looking at 4-8 different cables, so try to get as close as you can when you get a replacement.

I definitely pulled a cabled from a similarly equipped XJ (2WD, AW4, 4.0L).