ball joint grease seal -- ripped

Out of town for a couple of days, put in some hard hours on replacing the coils, shocks, and endlinks on the MJ.

On the driver's side, found that the upper ball joint seal had torn and separated. I cleaned it all up and re-greased. I did the ball joints about 7 years (40K miles) ago, I don't really feel like pressing out the ball joint again just yet. Any suggestions? I was thinking of gluing a piece of another seal in???? :ack:

Luckily, it seems like the best place for a grease seal to go bad, there's not that much dirt up there in on-road driving...anyone think I should just bite the bullet and press out the joint?

balljoint.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

normal, most ball joint seals tend to be worn out but ball joint it self is fine. Important, try test the end play by wiggle your wheel. Same method with wheel bearing. :smart:

just keep mainteance on it(grease it). don't put too much. Overdose greasing attratch dirts more. My opinion.

edit: if no end play as abnormal, then your ball joints r O.K.

If the ball joint checks out good , then get some new seals and stick them on and what ever you do don't get the cheap universal seals off the help shelf at the part store . Do your self a favor and measure the old seal and order a replacement from "energy suspension" , they are polyurethane and won't fall apart in a month like the cheap chines ones will Trust me! I have used the cheap ones before and they suck but the Polly ones are awsome , iv been using them for a couple years now at work and have tested them on everything from our trucks and tractors to the school busses .

fun! :fs1:

Searched through Energy Suspensions a bit and couldn't find anything specifically for the Jeep upper ball joint. Anyone have any part #s, even those of other manufacturers?

Thanks

Tom

OK, it's been too long since I've had the knuckle apart. How can I get the knuckle off, to put the dust boot back on, without removing ball joints? It's a Monday, but I'm slow everyday.

Also, trying to order one from Daystar, they wouldn't just sell me one for a Cherokee, they sent me this diagram, and I'm out of town. Anyone know these measurements? What a hassle. Thanks for reading along....Tom

:nuts:

daystardustbootmeasurin.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The knuckle is held in place by the taper of the ball joint stud and castle nut. Remove castle nuts from upper and lower ball joints, then drop the knuckle. You will end up with this:

100_1449.jpg

(ball joints still pressed into the 'C' with knuckle removed)