Need help with installing a 94 factory radio into an 87....

I'm not entirely sure that this can be done, considering the Radio in question came from a 94 XJ (4 door)

The radio I picked up.

And the reverse side, with the wiring diagram information. While I picked up the radio, I didn't think to grab the factory radio harness.... :doh:

-------

After taking apart my dash bezel this morning. I took out the old Daewoo aftermarket radio (cheap POS) and the spidery harness that went with it. Afterwards, I was left with this.

1987 FACTORY WIRING:

1 Black

1 Blue

1 White

1 Green

1 Purple w/ Orange stripe

1 Red w/ Gray stripe

1 Orange w/ Black stripe

1 Black w/ Yellow stripe

Can anyone help me out and tell me what each factory wire is for? I sure would appreciate it.

I also found this plug next to the factory radio set up and am not sure what it's for...

Wiring for the Plug

1 Black

1 Green w/ White stripe

1 White w/ Black stripe

1 Black w/ White stripe

1 Black (cut at the base)

1 Black w/ Yellow stripe (cut at the base)

1 White (cut at the base)

1 Green (cut at the base)

1987 MJ radio color codes.

gn

bk/wt, Right door speaker

wt

bk, Left door spkr

gn/wt

br/wt, left rear spkr

br

wt/bk, right rear spkr

vt/or

+12 VDC, From the radio pwr fuse

bl/

or/wt, Dash light

pk, power antenna

A word of caution, Jeep is famous for not following color codes 100%

1987 MJ radio color codes.

gn

bk/wt, Right door speaker

wt

bk, Left door spkr

gn/wt

br/wt, left rear spkr

br

wt/bk, right rear spkr

vt/or

+12 VDC, From the radio pwr fuse

bl/

or/wt, Dash light

pk, power antenna

A word of caution, Jeep is famous for not following color codes 100%

Thanks Jim. And yeah, I've discovered this several times within the last 3 weeks.... :headpop:

Ok, after an entire afternoon, I've basically solved my problem by playing a guessing game (sort of).

Here's what I've found out.

1994 XJ Radio Wiring ------------ 1987 MJ Radio Wiring

Constant 12V - Pink ||| Constant 12V - Red/Gray

Switched 12V -Purple/White ||| Switched 12V - Purple/Orange

Ground - Black ||| Ground - Black

*Illumination - Light Blue/Red ||| Illumination - Blue?

*Dimmer - Orange ||| Dimmer - Orange/Black?

*Antenna Trigger - Purple/Orange ||| Antenna Trigger - N/A?

--Front Speakers--

Left Front (+) - Dark Green ||| Left Front (+) - Green

Left Front (-) - Brown/Red ||| Left Front (-) - Black/White

Right Front (+) - Purple ||| Right Front (+) - White

Right Front (-) - Dark Blue/Red ||| Right Front (-) - Black

--Rear Speakers-- (Not Important Since I don't have any) -----

Left Rear (+) - Brown/Yellow

Left Rear (-) - Brown/Light Blue

Right Rear (+) - Dark Blue/White

Right Rear (-) - Dark Blue/Orange

----------------

* --> Not sure if these are correctly connected (as I couldn't see any illumination in the unit when I was working on it.) Also have another problem as I can get A/M stations fine, and the speakers are correctly connected, but I don't have F/M access whatsoever. There also seems to be a wire missing, as I don't have a wire for the Antennae to splice with.... :hmm:

Any thoughts? :dunno:

The antenna trigger wire is incase you have a power antenna, so it knows when to raise and lower. The actual antenna input is a separate male connection that plugs into the back of the radio

The antenna trigger wire is incase you have a power antenna, so it knows when to raise and lower. The actual antenna input is a separate male connection that plugs into the back of the radio

There's 2 seperate male connections, but neither of them were plugged into my old Daewoo radio that was in the truck when I bought it, and I got perfect FM/AM reception. Not to mention that the 94 radio has no spot for the Male connectors I have. :huh???: :hmm:

ok, this is the antenna lead

Image Not Found

and the port on the radio is the upper left hole

Image Not Found

My 87 antennae lead goes into the red hole, but I am unsure if there's anything that goes into the blue. Sorry I misconstrued what you said :doh: I'm just getting fed up with dealing with this whole radio business to be honest. :wall: Probably going to spend tomorrow going back through all my wiring (weather permitting). All I know is that there's going to be one wire missing (because there's an uneven # of wires I have.) So something is going to have to be sacrificed to get this :mad: thing running.

ok, sorry, yes the antenna should be plugged in to the red arrow.. and I don't think anything should be plugged into the blue hole.

I just went back over your wire list, and noticed that you had the black wire listed as both main ground and speaker ground, did you wire it up that way, or did you forget a tracer color?

ok, sorry, yes the antenna should be plugged in to the red arrow.. and I don't think anything should be plugged into the blue hole.

I just went back over your wire list, and noticed that you had the black wire listed as both main ground and speaker ground, did you wire it up that way, or did you forget a tracer color?

No, for whatever reason, there's 2 plain black wires. Like J. Oshel wrote, Jeep is infamous for the inability to follow their own color coding systems.... :redX: :dunno:

No, for whatever reason, there's 2 plain black wires.

If they're the same size??????

If they're different sizes the bigger one will be the main chassis ground. The smaller one will be 1/2 of a speaker pair.

ok, well, you have me stumped, but if it helps, I'd be willing to send you out the radio that I was using for reference, a '95 tape player that looks exactly like the one you have, with the plug and wires to see if it's a bad radio you have

ok, well, you have me stumped, but if it helps, I'd be willing to send you out the radio that I was using for reference, a '95 tape player that looks exactly like the one you have, with the plug and wires to see if it's a bad radio you have

Thanks for the offer, but when the weather around here clears (Central FL rainstorm week... :doh: :fs1: ) and I get a window of opportunity longer than an hr to work on the truck, I'll see if it is the radio goofing, or whether I goofed myself. More than likely, it was the PO that goofed, and I have to correct his mistakes. :shake: :fs2:

• 3 months later...
Ok, after an entire afternoon, I've basically solved my problem by playing a guessing game (sort of).

Here's what I've found out.

1994 XJ Radio Wiring ------------ 1987 MJ Radio Wiring

Constant 12V - Pink ||| Constant 12V - Red/Gray

Switched 12V -Purple/White ||| Switched 12V - Purple/Orange

Ground - Black ||| Ground - Black

*Illumination - Light Blue/Red ||| Illumination - Blue?

*Dimmer - Orange ||| Dimmer - Orange/Black?

*Antenna Trigger - Purple/Orange ||| Antenna Trigger - N/A?

--Front Speakers--

Left Front (+) - Dark Green ||| Left Front (+) - Green

Left Front (-) - Brown/Red ||| Left Front (-) - Black/White

Right Front (+) - Purple ||| Right Front (+) - White

Right Front (-) - Dark Blue/Red ||| Right Front (-) - Black

--Rear Speakers-- (Not Important Since I don't have any) -----

Left Rear (+) - Brown/Yellow

Left Rear (-) - Brown/Light Blue

Right Rear (+) - Dark Blue/White

Right Rear (-) - Dark Blue/Orange

----------------

* --> Not sure if these are correctly connected (as I couldn't see any illumination in the unit when I was working on it.) Also have another problem as I can get A/M stations fine, and the speakers are correctly connected, but I don't have F/M access whatsoever. There also seems to be a wire missing, as I don't have a wire for the Antennae to splice with.... :hmm:

Any thoughts? :dunno:

Would this work for a 1990 MJ?

Would this work for a 1990 MJ?

Not sure; the wiring for the radio switched around from year to year basically. I suppose if you have the same in truck wiring as I do, it should. :dunno: Maybe someone else can chime in here.

The power wires, ground, and passenger door wires are the same. Nothing else works. So my and and 2 subs and 4 tweeters will do for now.