trans problems

Hey and thanks in advance. Friend has an 86 MJ with the 2.8 and he's having trans problems. They aren't my field. What happens is he can drive it till it gets warm then the trans cuts out, if he shuts it off for a minute or two he can go another 100 feet maximum then it dies again. Any ideas what would cause this? The trans was rebuilt by a shop that messed it up somehow. Then rerebuilt by another shop that has done work for another friend in the past without problem. Just wanted to pick your brains to see if anyone would have an idea or has had a similar problem with solution.

what kind of trans, auto or manual? if auto i bet the pump is worn out and when it gets hot it gets weak and lowers the pressure, but i'm not sure on that. i know if an auto has less fluid in it than full it'll cause problems, and if the fluid isn't clean it'll cause problems. i had a dakota with an auto tranny and that was the problem with that thing when i bought it, dirty fluid and it was way low. changed the fluid and filter and it ran almost like a new one, but the damage was already done and it eventually got rebuilt.

sorry forgot to mention its an auto. I'm thinking its not the dirty fluid part since it was just rebuilt twice. Thanks for the input I'll have to look into that. He's saying he's thinking of selling for 600 obo so I listed it in pirate

thing is that it was rebuilt by the second shop 2,000 miles ago but that 2,000 miles was about 2 years ago (was parked a while). The first shop that messed it up wouldn't honor the warranty for whatever reason. This used to belong to another friend of mine and he knows the details but I am a little hazy. Just trying to help out a friend.