Engine, Transmissiom swap

What is easier to swap?Engine? Transmission?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What is easier to swap?Engine? Transmission?

• 1. Engine
    • 2. Transmission

I have 2 identical 1996 ZJ. 4.0, auto, 4wd. One has a bad tranny. The other a bad engine. I already know what I'm going to do but just curious how others would do it. Swap engines or swap trannys. Neither bodies or interiors are better then the other. Just wondering.

You simply do not post the real information required for an honest evaluation. There is more to a car than you offer.

No two cars are identical - Why would you have 2 identical 1996 ZJ's???

This sounds like a silly post by a 14 year old teenager about which identical twin should I bed.

My answer is junk them both and buy a decent one. Say a 1 ton Duelly Diesel, lifted 24 inches (helps make up for the small "u-no-what that you have no idea how to use".

Sorry fellows. Just a very "silly" question for a poll.

Sorry you were displeased with the question, data supplied. I thought maybe the last line "just wondering" would explain, justify the question. You are of course correct. No two things are never exactly alike. However when they are the same make, model, year, color, same accessories then in my opinion they are for all practical purposes identical. Depending on a persons skills and equipment some things are just easier to do than others. If one has a floor or transmission jack and no engine hoist, then swapping the trans would be easier. If one has a hoist, gantry, overhead crane but no jack then obviously pulling the engine would be easier. If one has both sets of equipment then it's pretty much ones choice how he does it.

So, how would you do it?

And since I buy junked, wrecked Jeeps and rebuild or part them out explains why I would have 2 of them in my possession. One ZJ, the Green one has a busted engine but a good trans. The other ZJ, the Green one, has a slipping transmission but a good engine. I really think that is sufficient data for any normal person to arrive at a decision.

14 year old teenager? I'm 76. That entitles me to a second childhood. With a little bit of luck you just may reach that point in life yourself.

It somewhat depends on the tools that you own. If I had a lift and a transmission jack, I would say that pulling the trans is easier. If I didn't have a lift, but had an engine hoist, I would say pulling the engine is easier. Any way to test the "good" transmission with the "bad" engine?

I would say the transmission is easier. You have to disconnect all the bell housing bolts and torque converter to do either. The trans just needs the trans lines, shift cable, electrical connections and cross member. The engine you would need to disconnect all the electrical connections, drain the fluids, pull all the hoses, motor mounts, fuel lines, etc...

Sorry you were displeased with the question, data supplied. I thought maybe the last line "just wondering" would explain, justify the question. You are of course correct. No two things are never exactly alike. However when they are the same make, model, year, color, same accessories then in my opinion they are for all practical purposes identical. Depending on a persons skills and equipment some things are just easier to do than others. If one has a floor or transmission jack and no engine hoist, then swapping the trans would be easier. If one has a hoist, gantry, overhead crane but no jack then obviously pulling the engine would be easier. If one has both sets of equipment then it's pretty much ones choice how he does it.

So, how would you do it?

And since I buy junked, wrecked Jeeps and rebuild or part them out explains why I would have 2 of them in my possession. One ZJ, the Green one has a busted engine but a good trans. The other ZJ, the Green one, has a slipping transmission but a good engine. I really think that is sufficient data for any normal person to arrive at a decision.

14 year old teenager? I'm 76. That entitles me to a second childhood. With a little bit of luck you just may reach that point in life yourself.

OK, I am 63 - getting close to that point in life. Heck, I have been told I am in my second or third childhood. (and at least we can both still talk about "u-no-what"). Might be what we both do best Thought I was the oldest sob on here!

Guess none of us guys really ever grow up!

To the point.

I was born in Scotland, and that makes me THRIFTY (not cheap, as my mom told me). Do the most profitable thing. My guess, the trans is cheaper than the engine. But if I were keeping it, I would likely want to do both the engine and trans to make sure it would serve me till I get a few more years under my belt. At least I could leave the best ZJ I could to others.

Neither, well in essence anyway.

I would pull them both at the same time so you don't have to deal with the bellhousing bolts X3 while in the vehicles.

Not only that but swapping the trannys with either the TCs on or off can be a major PIA under the vehicle, lots of work that

can be very much easily done out of the vehicle, faster and easier.

Pull engines, trannys and TCs together, swap components, decide which one is the keeper and install the engine, tranny

and TCs together.

Done.

Since available lift wasn't stated, I chose not to comment on the hows of it. Myself, I have a tripod for heavy/high lift

when needed.

Engine :wrench:

Having done both types of swaps, I would always pick pulling/replacing a motor over a tranny. I prefer to look down on what I am working on, not up at a chunk of metal over my head. Plus you get less dirt and crud in your eyes.

For the benefit of anyone interested. I pulled the bad engine, leaving the tranny. On the donor, I dropped the complete power train as a single unit. Removed the engine getting ready to drop it in the donee. It's just to dern hot out. I quit until it cools down this eve. :wrench:

Engine :wrench:

Having done both types of swaps, I would always pick pulling/replacing a motor over a tranny. I prefer to look down on what I am working on, not up at a chunk of metal over my head. Plus you get less dirt and crud in your eyes.

This one. Pulling the connections and linkages on the transmission is no fun.

All the connections on the engine are simple and easy to get to.