Anything I should consider when buying a new radiator?

Couple of little tech question please guys :wrench:

I'm just about to buy a new radiator to replace the colander model I currently have. Planning to go to the local autoparts/NAPA/whatever and get a standard replacement.

Are there any problems I might run into?

Should I be looking at a specific type/brand of radiator?

Are there any cooling upgrade options I should do while I'm elbow deep in grease under the hood?

I do alot of slow speed logging trails so more cooling would be nice.

I'm running the mechanical fan and an electric one on the other side plus a tranny cooler.

Thanks in advance for your input :thumbsup:

image_209027.gif

edit: it's for the renix 4.0L btw

I need a radiator as well, but radiatorbarn only comes up with one-row plastic tanks for my '86. Is that the only option for '86?

I'm not sure about the '86 but three months ago I got a 3 row all metal for my '91 from RadiatorBarn. Had all of tabs and slots for a perfect fit!

More questions guys :oops:

If I get a new open system rad and fit it is there any reason why I would have to do the open system conversion right away? Or will I get problems?

Reason? . . . I don't think I'm going to be able to source all the required parts (except the rad) for the conversion before I need to use the truck on a camping trip.

My surge tank and hoses are not leaking (yet!) just the old radiator.

:cheers:

I've been running an open system rad for years on my closed system 88. :thumbsup: the only difference I could find was the open syst has a radiator cap hanging off the rad (which made filling the system much easier).

I've been running an open system rad for years on my closed system 88. :thumbsup: the only difference I could find was the open syst has a radiator cap hanging off the rad (which made filling the system much easier).

:cheers: :thumbsup:

I need a radiator as well, but radiatorbarn only comes up with one-row plastic tanks for my '86. Is that the only option for '86?

I've done a ton of searching and sizing and the '86 rad is the only one that will fit without doing work to the front end, a CJ one is close though. I chose to cut up the front end some to fit the newer open style in there (you can see in my build thread) but that requires a good bit of work and welding.

More questions guys :oops:

If I get a new open system rad and fit it is there any reason why I would have to do the open system conversion right away? Or will I get problems?

Reason? . . . I don't think I'm going to be able to source all the required parts (except the rad) for the conversion before I need to use the truck on a camping trip.

My surge tank and hoses are not leaking (yet!) just the old radiator.

:cheers:

I would swap the whole system if I were you. I only did the radiator on mine and the system seems to flow in a different direction to the heater core. The system ended up getting so much pressure in it that the cap exploded and burned the hell out of my arms and chest (have coolant burn marks still on my skin). What you can do is just buy a newer coolant bottle (think I got mine from Advance Auto for like $25 or so with it taking a day to come in) then just run hoses to the heater core from the respective spots. You don't need to put a heater control valve in there as the newer Cherokee's deleted that anyways (just make sure you plug the vacuum line). If you want to retain the electric fan sensor (controls the fan based on coolant temp), you will also need a thermostat housing and the switch, then just wire that into the old two wires.

To make it a little easier, the parts you would need for the complete conversion: radiator from '92+ Cherokee, open style coolant overflow bottle, thermostat housing, electric fan switch, and 4-5 feet of heater lines (I believe they are 5/8").