Cluster Swap questions

I decided to pull a cluster from an unknown year XJ for my '86 MJ 2.5L, without doing my research first.

Is it supposed to work? My old cluster would not light up, so I couldn't see my speed at night. You'll see in the picture below that it was all messed up in the back, so I had hopes the new one would light up, and I'd have a tach & gauges.

I adjusted the new odometer to match my old, then plugged it in. Still no dash lights. Also it looks like I need a different speedometer cable since the clips are different.

The good news is that your "new" cluster is the new type, so there is a potentiometer you can use to calibrate the tach to your 4-cylinder engine (assuming it probably came out of a 4.0L vehicle). As to the lights, first I would check all the bulbs to be sure they aren't burned out. Easy to check -- rotate the socket a quarter turn (counter-clockwise, IIRC) and pull it out. The bulb is a press-in fit. If the bulb is clear, it should be good. If the glass looks blackened or smokey, it's burned out.

There's also a fuse in the fuse panel for the cluster lights. Check that.

And you are correct, the speedo cable is different.

The good news is that your "new" cluster is the new type, so there is a potentiometer you can use to calibrate the tach to your 4-cylinder engine (assuming it probably came out of a 4.0L vehicle).

They didn't always? I put an 87 cluster (white and blue numbers) from an XJ Wagoneer in my 4 cylinder MJ, and it also had the potentiometer. So if any didn't it must have been before 87 (84-86?).

The cluster lights are working now. I needed a new headlight switch. Bought part number S940 from Oreillys.

Now my next problem... The new oil pressure sender from Autozone part number PS133 will not fit in my 2.5L. There is a motor mount in the way. Is there another one to buy for the 2.5L?

The cluster lights are working now. I needed a new headlight switch. Bought part number S940 from Oreillys.

My XJ did the same thing. If you would turn it to the left till right before it would kick on the dome lights, the cluster lights would kick on! I ran it like that for a year at least!

• 2 weeks later...
The new oil pressure sender from Autozone part number PS133 will not fit in my 2.5L. There is a motor mount in the way. Is there another one to buy for the 2.5L?

To answer my own question after finding a 2.5L cherokee in the junkyard... You need to connect an elbow to the sender so it mounts at 90 degrees different than the 4.0L engines. Here's pictures: