Remove lifters without removing the head? '89 4.0L

My Haynes manual seems to think I can extract the lifters without removing the head.

Searching here I couldn't find the answer and random googling on the subject suggests no you can't get at them without removing the head.

Please can anyone advise me as to who is correct?

Edit: just found this quote "You can replace lifters in the 2.5 without pulling the head :). Don't know why they didn't make provisions for that on the 4.0 but oh well."

Can I assume that's a "No" then? :cheers:

Not possible with the 4.0L.

For some reason, although the 2.5L is based on the same design, supposedly you can remove the lifters without pulling the head. I have not done it, so I can't confirm or refute.

This is if your only replacing one. It can be done with all 8 but I prefer to pull the head. Remove the rocker arm and it's mate. It can be pushed over to one side but it's much easier to just remove it. Remove the push rod. If your lucky, a magnet on the end of a long rod will now remove the lifter. Otherwise use a regular lifter puller. I've only done this on 2.5. I think the hole in the head for the 4.0 pushrod is smaller than the hole on the 2.5

although the 2.5L is based on the same design, supposedly you can remove the lifters without pulling the head. I have not done it, so I can't confirm or refute.

I changed all the lifters in my '87 2.5 without pulling the head. The pushrod holes are big enough to fish them out with the lifter removal tool. I think it took about 1.5 hrs start to finish. I examined the head on the '90 4.0 when I had the VC off. The pushrod holes are way too small.