4.0L tick, tick, ticking

Also posted on NAXJA but I guess just about everyone's on vacation.

My 88 MJ has a tick, especially when cold, but it doesn't go away completely. I've put the stethoscope on the valve cover, nothing. It has a slight exhaust leak (proven when I seafoamed it) towards the rear of the engine. I stethoscoped the manifold, all the front components are new cause I've revamped the thing (water pump, alternator, A/C compressor, P/S pump, harmonic balancer).

So my question is: I know the AW4 has flexplate bolts that can work loose and cause a tick, but is the same with a 5 speed? Can the flywheel bolts work loose and cause the same tick?

OR

would the exhaust leak increase or decrease the tick

as it warms up?

Like I said I've run the stethoscope all around the engine bay, top end, oil pan, sides of block and cannot isolate the ticking. I've also changed the oil twice, seafoamed, MMO the first change to clean things out, Lucas oil stabilizer the second change. No difference in ticking.

When it's at operating temp the tick is less pronounced but still there at idle. When I'm reving or running the tick SEEMS to go away, but I know the ticks just get closer together and blend in with the engine roar. It doesn't seem to affect the performance of the engine, still runs very strong without any stuttering, backfiring etc.

I'm in no way trying to say that it's the same as the motor I just swapped out of mine, but mine had a Tick, and it was a collapsed lifter. Upon further investigation, turned out that the lifter was collapsed because all the bearings were just about dead, and it was bleeding off all it's oil pressure before it got to the valvetrain! (Pressure at the pump/pressure sender was great. 35 lbs at idle, and 70 just off idle) I'm just sayin, it never hurts to pull the valve cover, and make sure the pushrods/rocker arms are pumping out plenty of oil! I only had one pushrod actually pumping out oil!

don't know if it would be the same tapping sound as mine.. but my mec. said the hydrolic lifters had crud build-up in them and needed to be cleaned out with a oil additive... can't remember but it was not Lucas it was something else.. he also said it would take multiable oil changes to get it all cleaned out... Still have my tapping sound and had 2 or 3 oil changes so far