87 4.0 upgrades - questions on transfer case/tranny

Hi,

I've been following this forum since I got my truck last spring, and it's been great, thanks everybody!

I am now considering some upgrades, but I want some advice before I proceed with purchases. Sorry for any repetitive questions, but I searched a few different times, and couldn't get the answers I need. Here goes:

Want to replace peugeot crapper with AX-15, partly because I need to, and partly because I would love to someday bolt up the Mercedes OM617 turbo diesel motor. It looks like you just need new mounts and an adapter, with the AX15. Someday...

But are there different types of AX-15? different number of splines on Wranglers? What is salvageable from a Wrangler, and which years? Should I just stick to looking under cherokee's at the junkyard? HELP!

Now, which transfer case do I have, which one(s) did AX15's come with, and what should I be looking for? It looks like the 231 is the way to go, no? I have an opportunity to get a 231 from an old Wrangler, are they all the same?

Thanks for any help, I wish I could find the answers, I know they are on this forum!

Check the round tag on the back of the transfer case for the model number, it's likely a 231. There's a slight chance of it being a 207 if it's an early '87 model.

The Wrangler AX15 clocks the transfer case higher than the XJ/MJ equivalent, so it may cause clearance issues between the transfer case and the body.

If you're upgrading transmissions, look for a '94+ model with the external clutch slave, a much improved design over the internal slave.

Thanks everyone. So I do have a 231 mounted to the Peugeot. Will this work with an AX15, or is the clocking different? So I guess I'll be looking for a 94+ XJ AX-15 to mount up to my existing transfer case. Any other recommended upgrades while i'm doing this?

Thanks!

1) Wrangler: did not receive the AX/15 till 1991. From 87-90 had the 4.2 carbed engine and puke-goat. The clocking will make life difficult for you when installing.

2) 231: the 231 behind the pugeot has a different spline count than the AX15, and will not work without mod.

3) best course of action is XJ AX/231 combo. Best if you get it complete from bellhousing to crossmember to tailhousing. Should be able to pick up a combo for a couple hundred bucks.