i am wanting to know your opinions

hick92

so me and my buddy are making a little mud buggy out of a 86 4dr Cherokee 2.5 4wd we are thinking of making it a convertible by cutting of the top behind the windshield and cutting the wheel wells out so we can make my old almost bald ''free'' 33'' tires and we are thinking of painting it with chalkboard paint so we can use it like a chalkboard

:eek: Wow well I wouldn't chop the top off..... For two reasons #1 Mud rain/Grass slop slinging #2 Its good shade.

I would say just take the doors off :wrench: then you can always put them back on if you want....

P.s. lets see a pic of this thing! :popcorn:

You do know that the XJ is a uni-body correct? By cutting the top and the wheel wells out your loosing a good portion of the structural integrity of the XJ...

Not only that but a crudly hacked off roof looks tacky.....

thats the point we want the feel of the ancestors of the xj where when you mud you really get muddy

Oh trust me you will be muddy enough after you get out to get unstuck with those bald tires..... then where are you going to go chill out in the shade to drink your beer after you work your but off digging around in the mud

its ok if we get stuck my cousins got a ford high boy with a 460bb 4speed manual trans on some 44'' super swamper that will pull us out of the old cj7 with 302 on 38'' gumbo mudders

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Just take the doors off and stick your face out the side if you like mud that much! Mud isn't my thing it eats seals and joints...Not like animal seals and smokable joints either!

oh and as far as chalk board paint.... if your mudding whats the point of painting? sounds like your tring to kill this poor xj anyway! :mad:

you can get away with cutting the top off a xj ... the unibody "frame" rail is alot stronger than most people give it credit for

thats my 91 held up to mud like that never tried it on the rocks(stock height in front and 2.5 inch shackles in the rear with 35s)

i twisted the unibody jumping it

here's the only picture i can find of me jumping it

really, just take the doors off. there will be more mud in there then you'd like after awhile of it. trust me, I'm living it. its fun to have some mud thrown on you once in awhile but even cruisin down trails NOT looking to mud, you'll get mud on you one way or another. it get old but from the sounds of it. your looking to have a beater to romp around in. id go as far as to cut off the back portion behind the rear seat. that'll give your open feel (plus no doors) while still having some protection incase of a roll over.....but if your just hell bent on it......do it.... its yours to do with what you want and lets face it, cherokees arent in short supply

You do know that the XJ is a uni-body correct? By cutting the top and the wheel wells out your loosing a good portion of the structural integrity of the XJ...

Not only that but a crudly hacked off roof looks tacky.....

And trying to build a mudder with bald 33's, cutting err, hacking the fenders, isnt tacky??? LOL. :hmm:

If he cuts the roof I hope to god he puts some sort of roll cage in it.

If your going to cut the roof off, then at least match it by taking the seatbelts out, cut/remove all brake lines, loosen the lugnuts, and start poking holes in all your condoms.

I agree with the doors being removable. Much safer! and if $#!& does go down you'll have SOME protection rather than none, and you'll get pretty darn muddy. Hell, you could even take the windshield off if you want to get ridiculous.

Whatever you decide to do, make sure there is at least some safety factor. Last thing we want to hear is that you and your buddies rolled it and suffered serious injuries.

-Nate

well actually i forgot to add that i have a cousin that is basically a professional welder he took the classes and all so we are goin to have him weld in a roll cage

In that case chop the top! A cage makes all the difference in both the safety aspect and getting some of the rigidity back in the unibody.