So my 87 left me stranded for the first time...

Since I bought my 87 4.0 AW4 it has had a problem starting. I'll turn the key to the on position to prime the pump, and turn it over to start it and nothing will happen. After doing it once more, it will start right up. It's been more of a nuisance or a nuance than a bother up until yesterday when I drove it to church, came out to come home and no matter what it wouldn't start. Same thing was happening, full power, pump priming, just no juice to the starter it seems. Well, I gave up and we took my wife's car to the parent's house for Mother's Day dinner, and on the way back, we stopped by the church parking lot to check it and it started right up. I'm thinking possibilities:

-Starter solenoid

-Starter

-Relay somewhere?

-Ignition cylinder

Any ideas? Thanks guys.

Don't mean to minimize your problem but it sounds like your battery connections are sketchy.

My XJ had the same issues, I made sure the cables were shiny & tight, grounds, CPS was fine.

"Cept for the battery cables (+) was corroded to s!@$ about half way from battery to starter. That's where I'd look first. Test your CPS next.

Thanks for the tip! I thought it might be the cables. The - terminal is not as tight as I'd like it, but I fiddled with it which usually fixes a problem like this, but I'll replace the terminals today and see how that works. Thanks.

Had this problem with my bosses MJ... the ground strap going to the block was TOAST.... horrible shape... I replaced it and its been fine since. I had a similar problem with my MJ after I got it, it was the battery terminals not making good connection. Usually if I went and fiddled with the cables when this happened, it would fire right up.

Since I bought my 87 4.0 AW4 it has had a problem starting. I'll turn the key to the on position to prime the pump, and turn it over to start it and nothing will happen. After doing it once more, it will start right up. It's been more of a nuisance or a nuance than a bother up until yesterday when I drove it to church, came out to come home and no matter what it wouldn't start. Same thing was happening, full power, pump priming, just no juice to the starter it seems. Well, I gave up and we took my wife's car to the parent's house for Mother's Day dinner, and on the way back, we stopped by the church parking lot to check it and it started right up. I'm thinking possibilities:

-Starter solenoid

-Starter

-Relay somewhere?

-Ignition cylinder

Any ideas? Thanks guys.

Same thing happened to me, thought my terminals were clean, but they werent completely shiny... I really scrubbed them up good and havent had the same problem yet.