A bad lesson learned

I had been adjusting my brakes, and when I slammed them the 3rd time, I heard a bad grind, so I stopped. Tonite I came home and jacked the MJ up without blocking the wheels, I thought.. oh its only one side, my ebrake is on... mistake, I couldn't get my drum off, so I went, threw it into 4th and popped the ebrake.

you all know what happens here, just a jack and no jackstand and no wheel blocks. :chillin:

a 1/2" groove in my driveway and my mj on the ground with nothing but the drum holding it up. :mad:

I got it all back up on stands, blocked away and such, then yanked my drums off.. 17 year old hardware = both my adjusters are sheared in half, wheels worn right down, siezed, ect. In the process, I dropped vice grips on my knuckles, cut a slice outta my arm, dropped my tire on my foot.

so much for a merry christmas :)

Same thing happened to a friend of mine in NAXJA -- except he happened to be under the vehicle when it started rolling down the hill. Fortunately for him, it had on large tires that were aired down and he was on moderately soft dirt rather than pavement. Miraculously, nothing broken but several bruises (aside from the one to his ego!).

Note to self: parking brakes don't help when wheels are off the ground.

I know this has been preacched a million times, jack stands are not 100% and niether is a hydralic jack. ALWAYS CHUCH AT LEAST ONE TIRE FRONT AND REAR.

As for dropping something with a hi-lift. Those things are extremely dangerous. we had a guy in the club drop a YJ using a hi-lift and he broke his leg in 2 places

I know this has been preacched a million times, jack stands are not 100% and niether is a hydralic jack. ALWAYS CHUCH AT LEAST ONE TIRE FRONT AND REAR.

As for dropping something with a hi-lift. Those things are extremely dangerous. we had a guy in the club drop a YJ using a hi-lift and he broke his leg in 2 places

only time jackstands are 100% is when they're stuffed under the front wheels to block them :D

A guy in one of the other clubs around here was killed by his hi-lift. The ratchet slipped as he was jacking the vehicle up, the handle flew up and hit him square in the face. Busted up the facial bones and did enough brain damage that he died in the hospital.

What was it somebody wrote earlier in this thread about keeping the hi-lift oiled? Good advice! Also, always be absolutely, 110% certain that you are NEVER within range of the hi-lift handle when there's any load on the jack. NEVER!

Hi-lifts are a lot like the old bumper jacks when I started driving. Should not be in use.

Charles

You're dating yourself, Mate. I thought I was the only one here old enough to remember those jacks.

taht means nothing, I'm 17 and I know and remember bumper jacks :P

we tore ours apart and used them for other projects.

Same thing happened to a friend of mine in NAXJA -- except he happened to be under the vehicle when it started rolling down the hill. Fortunately for him, it had on large tires that were aired down and he was on moderately soft dirt rather than pavement. Miraculously, nothing broken but several bruises (aside from the one to his ego!).

Note to self: parking brakes don't help when wheels are off the ground.

Hey Eagle how r ya. If you're talking about me then it was a little more than bruising. In fact I tore 80% of the ligaments in my left ankle and broke a bone in my wrist, put me out for awhile.

STROKERMJ