Busted speedometer.

Hey guys,

I took my truck into the trails the other day, which is something I don't often do, because my rear diff is in need of rebuilding and the thing usually develops a couple more rattles and clunks every time I take it off road. Anyway, I'm not sure what happened exactly, but at some point in the trip, my speedo broke. It used to wobble a lot, but now it just stopped completely.

I have to work today, and before I take a look at it, I figure somebody here can give me a head's up of what to expect and how to fix it. That way I can fix it on my day off and have a good idea of what to do.

Also, how much does it cost for rear differential work? I definitely need a pinion seal, bearing and possibly the pinion gear. I might have the skill to fix it myself, but that depends upon what needs to be done. Would it be cheaper to go to the wrecker's and cut out a whole rear axle from a donor?

Any help is appreciated.

You probably broke the speedometer cable.

As for the axle if you have a Dana 35 junk it and get another axle. If you have a M20 or Dana 44 it may be worth fixing.

Diff work isn't cheap and unless you know what your doing its not something you do yourself.

Yeah man, it's a 35c. That's what I thought. I'll junk it and look around for a new one. The speedo cable sounds like an easy fix. It's hooked up to the transfer case, right?

Yeah man, it's a 35c. That's what I thought. I'll junk it and look around for a new one. The speedo cable sounds like an easy fix. It's hooked up to the transfer case, right?

When you replace it. replace it with a ford 8.8 or a D44 not with a D35, you can pickup a 8.8 at any j yard for 100 then switch the back breaks to Roters