2WD to 4WD conversion question

I just bought a 91 comanche 4.0 HO, 2WD. I found a 98 cherokee 4.0, 4WD donor. Off the top of my head I'll need the transmission, transfer case, front and rear driveshafts, 4WD shift selector, front axle, and I'm assuming the main wiring harness to accommodate the trans/transfer case. So my questions is, will I encounter any problems since the comanche is a HO and the cherokee is just a regular 4.0? Also, is there anything else I should be aware of or require? I also plan on taking the grille to update the front end appeal. Thanks.

I'm not sure if both front and rear driveshaft is interchangeable because MJ have little longer wheelbase? correct me if I'm wrong :smart: :dunno:

edit: BTW welcome to the club! :wavey:

Thanks! I overlooked the wheelbase issue so thanks for bringing that to my attention.

91 computer uses a speed sensor on the output of the transmission (or transfer case). 98 computer used a speed sensor on the output as well as the input of the transmission. It should all still be fine as the 91 computer will just ignore the input speed sensor, but I'm not sure if the harness "plugs" are the same.

Can't bee too specific as I really do not know much about 97 and newer XJ electronics. The newest one I own is a 96.

I'm not sure if both front and rear driveshaft is interchangeable because MJ have little longer wheelbase? correct me if I'm wrong :smart: :dunno:

Thanks! I overlooked the wheelbase issue so thanks for bringing that to my attention.

welcome! and anytime, you will even love this MJ tech thread :thumbsup:

good luck with swap. I'm sure that you will succesfull on it :cheers:

Front is the same, rear is not.

You will need to use the 91 speed sensor in the 97+ transfer case.

The AW4 wiring will be a little funky, you will need the TCU and plug from the donor XJ, and you will need the tranny harness and plugs from the donor XJ.

You will need to do a little wiring work to get everything to work out, and you may need to tie into the CCD bus for the TCU, but it "should" be able to run standalone since thats what the TJ/ZJ guys do when they swap in an AW4.

Why would his 91 electronics not be able to run the 98 transmission, just ignoring the extra input speed sensor the transmission has? They are both AW4.

And they are both seperated by 7 years of production, including a major design overhaul with a switch from OBDI to OBDII. Heck just the difference with the 97 and 98 for the TCU is a big enough problem let alone a 91, I'm just saying, I suspect he will need to run the 98 tranny with its TCU(and related wiring, so he should be sure to grab all that from the donor).