Font end noise

Hello all, ive been looking under my front end for an hour or so and can't seem to find the obvious culprit for this funny noise ive got. It sounds like a loose bracket of sorts, kinda like metal on metal but with a spring flip flappy vibation, only happens when i hit bumps in the road or speed bumps. Its not on a flex more of a small jar to the front end that makes it happen, kinda like a licsence plate rattle when a fool has to much subwoofer in his f..... honda but more metalic. Sorry for the long winded explanation but I'm new to these trucks and TMI can't hurt right. I know the ball joints and pretty much all the greasable joints are very very old but only the ball joints seem to have any noticable play and when i grab the steering links, via tie rod ends, they twist a bunch but have nice resistance but they also smack the dust cover for the disc brakes and ting bad enouph to remind me of the sound. The suspension is fully loaded when i do this so I'm sure its not a true test of the joints but maybe this is common with older joints in these things. oh and when the tie rod ends ting the dust cover its not left to right play its just in the natural twist of a tie rod end. Oh and most of all I'm sure to tell yall its a 2x4 font end still, need to keep it going till i gather all the right parts to complete the build. Again i can't thank enouph for the patients and understanding of you guys so far and hope to not wear it out my welcome. Zag

If you can get a second person, have them sit and slowly work the steering wheel back and forth just past the dead spot. While there doing that look under the front and watch every joint, bolt, link end, steering, etc. one at a time. You can usually spot whats loose or worn by doing this.

Cheers, Jason

Wow thanks for the advise guys, but i think i found the problem. If i have the brakes on at all while driving the noise goes away. I'm pretty sure its the caliper hardware and bushings making the racket. This thing has almost 240000 miles on it and I'm sure the brakes could use a once over. I can probably find some rebuild kits at napa or somewhere or even make some new bushings my self. worst case is i pic up some new calipers and hardware. Again thanks for all the help and tips, all of those things is bound to happen at some point on this sucker eventually, its nice to have a heads up. :wrench: