rustys winch bumper

I know a lot of you guys don't like rustys products. and i have stayed away from them myself due to their reputation.

But i have come across a Winch bumper made by them, my truck really needs a bumper, and a place to mount my winch. I don't have the time to make one like i was planning. so just to get the truck useable, what do you guys think? my main concern is how well it mounts up and how sturdy the mounts are.

this is the bumper(I'm not too crazy about the stinger :nuts: )

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.m ... de=bum_rus

thanks guys :wrench:

I've heard lots of bad things about Rusty's but I was running their 8" long arm kit on my Cherokee and never had a single problem with the kit (ran it for 2 years and everything except the cross member survived on a front on accident with an F350). Right now I'm running the track bar drop down bracket, front springs and front shocks on my Comanche till I go lower, which I'll be replacing with Rusty's suspension again.

I've actually been looking at that bumper but, in all honesty, I'd go with Nates4x4 slimeline bumper instead. A buddy of line just ordered the slimeline bumper just under $600 with a few of the extras (it's $598 for all the options for our years). My buddy got free shipping on the Nates4x4 bumper, not sure if it's a special they're running or what but he ordered it a few days ago. Rusty's is $550 shipped so it's about the same price.

I just got my rear springs from Rusty's . Same thing , I heard lots but I will say my first order went as good as it gets . Shipped out same day , got it in 1 week to the day(AB,Canada) , everything as ordered . Phoned in with a question and must have spoke to Rusty himself . That man set me straight and when I followed his diections , things worked like a charm . I have no room to complain about Rusty's .

As for a bumper , I made the XJ OR-Fab bumper fit my ZJ . I have a winch in it and the mounting must be good cause I can pull the jeep accross pavement (done when pulling tree roots) . Although I had to make my own mounts , what was there was strong .

It's a cool looking bumper and best of all , it hides the winch well . I'd certainly like to have another for the MJ . There's room for another set of fog lights that point to the side and an optional bolt-on stinger .

From the pics on the Rusty's site, it looks like the factory 3 bolts and one farther back. Doesn't even look like it bolts up with the steering box bolts. If you're good with metal and welding, I would recommend adding a few more bolts on the pass side and tying the drivers side into the steering box bolts. I can't vouch for it as I've never seen it in action before but that's just my take on it.

my main concern is how does it mount up, and is it worth a darn to be pulling from

Buy a JCR and be done with it is what i'd say but if you just buy some JCR tie-in brackets you'd be fine.

The issue with that is that they bolt to the outside, making the distance between the bumper mounting brackets farther apart. You will either need to cut and reweld the mounts on farther apart or replace the Rusty's mounts with the JCR tie-in's. The JCR bumper is made to take that extra thickness into account already.

i really don't want to order a bumper, wait for it etc. I'd like to pic this one up locally and just run it for the time being until i decide to make mine, or just get the one i want. When I'm home from school i will go look at it and decide what i really want to do. but it looks like I will probably end up trying to get it, as i need to drive the jeep this summer

I wouldn't worry much about the mounts they would be very easy too modify if you don't feel they are strong enough.

What really matters is the bumper its self which from the materials used should be ok.

Seeing what they get for that thing makes me glad that I made my own.

my main concern is how does it mount up, and is it worth a darn to be pulling from

Buy a JCR and be done with it is what i'd say but if you just buy some JCR tie-in brackets you'd be fine.

The JCR bumper is made to take that extra thickness into account already.

Still had to beat on the bumper mounts with a hammer to get mine to fit. A little massaging with a hammer *should* work!