Replacing Sway Bar pins....?

Alright, this isnt my problem but 1 for my friends 99 XJ. Were attempting to install sway bar disconnects today and we can't seem 2 to remove the stock pins to install the new 1s. Weve tried everything from heat and Hammers to drills, and even with brand new bits we cannot even penetrate through those things. Is theyre any other options or tricks that maybe were missing?

thanks for any help! :cheers:

I have a set of (TJ, I believe) Wrangler ones laying around, and they use a tapered tie rod type end on the upper mount, but the axle side is the same as the older MJ/XJ bushings. My 96 XJ is the same, but it's quite possible 99 is not. Can you get some pictures?

Yes, the lower Torx bolts for the sway bar. I have already cut off both sides flush with the axle mount but we cannot seem to get the centers to come out. I had zero issues with these on my 88 MJ and these were giving us all kinds of fits on this Cherokee...

Ill try and snap a pic today if I meet up with him again.

thanks!

Even though they are bolts, they do not thread into the bracket. I'm guessing they were rust welded in, and now that you ground both side off, you may have made the problem worse. My suggestion would be to either drill them out (which you tried already, correct type of drill bit?) or drive them out with a hardened punch and a BFH, along the lines of a 3 pound sledge.

Was working on it, I'm gonna get a "real" drill bit next and see if that helps, I have a set of brand new 1s but they would go about 1/3 way through and just stop, like the metal just was too hard for em and burnt em up :wall: . We spend plenty of time with a 10 pound sledge and a punch as well.....them suckers just wouldent budge :fs2: