Popping sound when turning and taking off..?

I here/feel a light popping from underneath when I am taking odd from a start and when doing slow turns. When I shift to secod gear it goes away. I thought it might be leaf springs/ bushings, but I can jump on the bumper and don't hear it. I also have rubber bushings in the leafs. Could it be u-joints? Ball joints? I also have to sway bar disconnected because the links were broke if that matters.

Check to see if you lost a cap in one of your front axle u-joints. Also check your front and rear u-joints on driveshafts. Sometime if only one of your u-joints in the double side of driveline fails you will get intermitant clicking/popping.

The axles use either Spicer 5-260x ("small", or 1 1/16" diameter cap) or 5-297x ("large", or 1 4/16" caps) joints (5-760x is a stronger replacement for the 297), or equivalent. Drive shafts use 5-153x or equivalent.

If you do need to replace any, my experience has been that Spicer is far superior to Duralast, Duralast Gold, Neapco and Neapco Bruteforce offered by Autozone and Advance Auto parts respectively, even though their warranty sucks (6 months), and the 760 are nigh indestructible.

Have someone sit in your truck and slowly and evenly move the steering wheel back and forth just past its dead point. Check under rig while there doing this. Look at all your link ends, track bar, steering, joints, etc. etc. Allot of times this is a great way to spot anything that is loose. in the steering or front suspension.

• 2 weeks later...

my steering is a bit loose and i will take care of that later on. this popping noise is not coming from the front. it is in the rear or under the cab at the least. I found out that it doesn't do it when i turn right. when i take off from a dead dtop it does it and when i take slow left turns it will do it. u joints all look ok(no caps missing). could it be tansmission mount or u joints on the axle? i would think it it were on the driveshaft that it would make noise no matter which way i turned.