Wil not start without a shot of fuild

Before you have a Idea please read. I have replaced the following parts, Crank sensor has nothing to do with starting, Water temp to ECU, Air Temp, Injector, Starter SW has signal to ECU pin 29, ECU, Throddle Position sensor is set per manual. fuel pump and filter replaced, fuel pump bypassed fuel relay ( runs full time and have good pressure at TBI) Fuel relay show it connect a signal to the Injuctor will check it today. Not sure all Signal need to ECU to get Injector to Prime. But if I give a shot of starter fuel It will start and run.

Seems you have done a lot already, have you checked and cleaned the grounds?

Batt to block, block to body and the one behind the left tail light?

If your experiencing electrical or fuel problems such as this, the grounds should be the first thing you eliminate.

Maybe bad gas/water in tank/plugged air filter. Water in gas kept mine from starting but with a shot of help it would run all day if I kept it off idle, weird stuff happens. Dumped in about three cans of HEET (I think) to absorb water and with full tank of fresh gas haven't had any more problems.

OK, I am an old fart.

Last time I had something like this problem was with a 66 Chevy. The points were collapsed and would not allow a spark, so the car did not fire. I had to use starting ether to get the engine to run. This was in 1973 and I was stuck in the worst possible part of Chicago. My wife asked the Gas Station Attendant where the bathroom was. He pointed around the corner. The guy saw her reaction and said:

"Don't worry, lady, I have a gun."

We got out of that part of Chicago, ASAP and have not been back since!!!

Your problem sounds like a lack of fire.

I filled my 2000 Rodeo with E-85 and had hard starting problems, ran like total crap. Finally burned enough of the E85 to add some RUG and the car started to run better. I filled up later with an other 5 gals of RUG and was soon back to normal.

First, check your spark at the plugs.

It has nothing to do with the fuel, Order a light to check the injector, I believe I'm missing a input to the ECU for the prime pulse, pulled fuel relay and it died OK, Pull Throttle Position, NO Change, ran.

Read on JeepForum the the fuel pump wiring hooked up backwards will stop it from starting, but will run after a shot of starter fuild. :huh???: anybody heard of that?

Found out that the starter switch has a dk grn to the starter sol, it should have a grn/whit to pin 29 of the ECU for the start signal. Their is no grn/wht connection. aslo can't id pin 29 of the ECU the 35 pin out has a mark on pin 2 but the unused pins on 9 and 20 don't match.

There is also another guy on here having the exact same problem as you on post "won't start this morning" I will get him to come onto your post here. It will start with some fluid and once it starts it will run until next time you try to start it. He said at first there was no spark so I showed him how to test his ignition system, now he says theres spark but needs starting fluid to get it started.

What year is your tbi sounds like 86-88? So its gotta be the ecu either isnt getting a good signal from sensors or to injector, or the ecu can be bad. Since you put on a new cps did you happen to see flywheel condtion? Maybe it just has some grime built up on it and the cps can't get a good signal. just a thought

Hey I am having this exact same problem I have replaced just about everything you have as well. It runs great once I get her started and all that takes is a quick spray of starter fluid and she fires right up.

Have you made any progress on this issue? or have any ideas?

No one else had this problem?

Grabber , no mention of changing the coil ? I know you have spark , question is , how much . A weak coil can run an engine but will have issues with starting . The strater fluid has a high combustion rate so it burns easy . Once running , the compressed gas will ignite easy with minimal spark .

Not sure , just sounds like it might fit your bill .

Open ECU to figure pin out and have starter signal on pin 29, noid light should be in today, Have battery @ injector. So I beleive Its a different signal nissing now to get prime oulce, But I'm clue less.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...