EGR Valve Vacuum issues

Well, after doing my front shocks, I noticed on the drivers side that a vacuum line was unplugged from my EGR valve. Plugged it back in, woke up the next morning and go to drive it, go about 4 miles or so down the road before I start to lose power if my foot is off the gas. I let it sit, opened the hood and there was some smoke (not much, perhaps it was something burning off than actual on-fire?) coming from where the EGR valve connect bolts to the intake manifold. Started up fine, but did the same thing further on down the road. Unplugged the vacuum line again (the one circled in yellow) and haven't had the problem since. My question is, what is the big thing circled in red (connects to the EGR valve circled in green that is right below it)? Most diagrams show just a straight line going to the EGR valve, but even then which place does it plug into, the one circled in green or yellow?

I just replaced mine last week. The black plastic attached part I believe is called the transducer, which is standard on the 4.0 engine. The egr vacuum line from the egr solenoid runs to the transducer (red) and the small line runs from the transducer to the valve (green). The hose in yellow connects to that valve nipple. Be sure the valve gasket is in good condition. It sounds like your valve is bad. I am not looking at my engine right now so if I misstated anything, I apologize.

Yes, those are common symptoms of a bad EGR. If it runs better disconnected I guess you could do that until you get a new one. I wouldn't wait too long though, IIRC the EGR can affect the Cat somehow if left unchecked.

• 8 years later...