Install headlight delay

So I know my buddies XJ has a headlight delay where if you shut off the jeep and turn the headlight switch off the headlights stay on for a few seconds. My MJ doesn't have this and I was wondering what all it takes to make it work on a non factory installed vehicle?

my 90 comanche keeps the headlights on for about 30 seconds if i turn the truck off with the headlights on.

I will have to check the wiring diagram to see if it is the same with an 89 if that is the year you have

my 90 comanche keeps the headlights on for about 30 seconds if i turn the truck off with the headlights on.

I will have to check the wiring diagram to see if it is the same with an 89 if that is the year you have

Yeah mine's an '89, and it definitely doesn't have the delay, or it is inoperable anyway.

• 1 year later...

Where can one find one of these delays? Part number, proper name? I'm searching and can't find them.

Thanks,

Aaron

The 87-90 parts book shows the part number as 56000636..I'm not sure if its available but there are some used ones on ebay from time to time for about $15.00 +/-. the JY might be a good spot to find one also...????

Edit:..Team Cherokee is selling one for $41.95....part number 56009324 which they say replaced 56000636.

Contact fiatslug on this forum. He has some of these periodically. I picked one up at the local P&P. As Hornbrod's photo shows, it's tucked up behind the lower dash, may have one screw holding it (can't remember - may be Velcro'd or taped in place). I'll connect mine when I get the &@#€ truck back together and have all of the electrical demons slain.