Hood alignment

Well, I got Junior back from the body shop yesterday after they pulled the frame. All the panels lined up great but I had sent it to them with the wrong hood on board, and when I changed to the permanent hood I am now having difficulty aligning it.

Before you say it...I checked the dimensions on the body personally and the shop straightened it to specifications as shown in the FSM.

The fender gaps and the header gap are fine, the height (as compared to the fender edges) is fine; but when I try to open the hood is binds at the back...on the edge of the cowl cover (windshield wiper motor cover). I have inserted 6 shims under the hood hinges ( between hood and hinge) so far without success. I need the hood to move foward towards the header panel.

My question: has anyone inserted shims under the hood hinges where they mount to the firewall? I have dismantled a ton of Jeeps and have never seen any shims there.

I suppose the hinges themselves could be bent, but I have none to compare them to.

Thanks

Jake

My question: has anyone inserted shims under the hood hinges where they mount to the firewall?

not between the hood hinges where they mount to the firewall, butt there is 3 shims on each side between the hood & hinges.

FSM shows shims between hinge and hood only. Why not compare the two hoods and see what is different to make them fit differently? It is possible the hinges are bent but not likely. Compare the two hinges you have against each other. It's not likely they would both be bent the same. Of all the body parts I believe the hood is the most difficult to get aligned properly. MHO. :wrench:

The rear gap is supposed to be larger than the front. The front should be around a 1/4 or so. The rear is more like a 1/2 inch. This is to allow the hood to clear the wiper cowl. That is why that big piece of rubber is there along the cowl and the hood to close the gap.

Ah good to hear that :cheers:

Did you used shim at all?

Only shims are between the hood and hinge , none to the firewall .

I just swapped my 88's hood for the 98 XJ's . I took hinges and all . Bolted it on , closed the hood , I couldn't have better lines :) I'm really happy with it . If the doors went on only 1/2 as easy :(