Hey Firefox users...

terrawombat

Upgrade to version 4 - you won't regret it...unless you have some incompatible add-on that you just can't live without, then wait and suffer with the slow Firefox 3.

Normally software developers make lavish claims that their updated software is faster, but that never seems to be the case...at least it's not noticeable. Firefox 4 is a different story - it loads faster, opens new tabs faster, and loads pages stuffed with Flash code in no time. I'm impressed with the update so far even though I had to give up one of my add-ons that is not yet compatible 4, but I'm willing to make the sacrifice and wait it out.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Killing two of my add-ons, hopefully it'll be worth it.

It will as long as those add-ons aren't essential for day-to-day operation. The speed in which I now can navigate Gmail has improved 100000x. There used to be this slight lag when I'd open new e-mails. Now it's instant.

It's killing my weatherbug which isn't really essential, but it's nice to always have the weather on the bottom of the screen. Only one I'm worried about is my favicon picker, which makes using my most frequent bookmarks much easier.

I'm sure it's only a matter of time before the developers of the add-ins have an update compatible with the new browser. Upgrading to 4 doesn't delete those extensions, it just disables them. I believe the add-in updater will still check the disabled ones for updates, too.

That's odd. I upgraded on a WinXP, Vista, and 7 machine and every single one retained my bookmarks toolbar at the top as well as all of my other bookmarks. The bookmarks drop-down menu is no longer located up top like on the old version (except in WinXP), but on the right side. I always backup my bookmarks file every month or so. I go through computers pretty often and always need to have my most current bookmarks available for new machines.

Kept all of my stuff just fine. Looks a bit different, I would not have been able to keep the tabs above the address bar, but luckily that was easily fixed.

What's getting annoying, though, is how often it freaks out about a word not being spelled correctly before I'm done typing it. It was nice how it was before when it would wait until you hit the space bar.

Interesting. Try going to the Firefox drop-down menu in the upper left, go to options, go to the advanced tab and unchecking the 'Check my spelling as I type' box. Mine was checked, but it still didn't do the red underline on a misspelled word until I hit the space bar. Dunno?

After 4 tries I finally got a restore point that worked. After playing with it for a while, finally got a task bar. Still don't have any tool bars or any of the menus that goes with it. I had FireFox 3.2 something. Just hit the download for the 4.0 upgrade. The only way I'm getting anything is by using desk top icons. Just finished totally deleting firefox from the puter and useing IE 9. I'm disgusted, and frustrated. :fs1:

My upgrade gave me 0 problems. The only downside is that two of my addons don't work now, gotta wait for the updates for those... but it told me they would no longer work before I even downloaded the update.

Pat, just export your bookmarks before you update.

definitely gonna wait until more people have positive feedback on not loosing their sites and stuff. I don't want to take the effort to set it all up again.

Then make a backup file of your bookmarks. Export them to an HTML file for a double back-up. Firefox automatically saves a daily backup too so you should be able to restore from any of those dates. I don't know the specifics of jimoshel's issue other than he couldn't restore his bookmarks and spent a lot of time trying.

I've installed this on the three main Windows platforms and didn't have an ounce of trouble on any.

My upgrade gave me 0 problems. The only downside is that two of my addons don't work now, gotta wait for the updates for those... but it told me they would no longer work before I even downloaded the update.

Pat, just export your bookmarks before you update.

who my what??

I don't know how (don't want to, either. I want to click update and let it do it itself.)

I upgraded to IE9 the other day at work just to waste some time. I don't even use the program, but wanted to see if they had actually made a significant effort to improve the interface. So I download it and try it out - still doesn't feel right to me. So later, I'm editing a Word document and I go online to find a template that may be suitable. Naturally, Microsoft Office opens IE9 to the Word templates download page. It hangs up for a while and then crashes the browser. Gotta love when Microsoft products don't even work together right...