Scored a free Ford Ranger that runs/drives

AMCJeepMJ

Just a big dent in the side where the bed where it meets the cab. Drives straight with no abnormal tire wear (accident damage years old). It an 89 regular cab, long bed, matching canopy, fugly running boards, has a 2.9, and is a 2wd slushomatic.

Anyone know anything about these rigs? Anything they are notorious for (other than being a 20 year old Ford)?

I'll get a pic up of this atrocity when I pick it up in the next day or two.

I understand they share parts with a Bronco II?

I suppose if nothing else I can get 150 from a salvage yard for it or make a trailer out of the back half...

IIRC those 2.9s are known for randomly blowing head gaskets... Just keep an eye on your temp and you should be good.

Interesting you say head gasket. I had to add about a half gallon of coolant to it upon checking it out last Friday. Battery was dead so didn't get it started, but the existing coolant looked good- just low.

I was thinking about it today. Maybe it's because no one takes care of their vehicles where I come from, but most rangers and f-150s i've seen that old are pretty cancerous too. How's the rust?

Only rust where it was hit, and at that has a big stripe decal down the side to 'protect' it. It does have dull paint, however.

Pics are coming when I get out to it this week with a battery- tis about a 35 minute drive away.

i had an '87 ranger with a 2.9 and an automatic for a while, it was pretty good to me.. the early 2.9's were known for overheating and cracking the heads, but in 89 they redesigned the heads and beefed them up in the problem areas.. IIRC, the casting number for the better heads is "89TM". there's a bunch of stuff you can do to the motor, common things are swapping in an 86-87 throttle body (the older ones are much larger), or with a bit or creativeness one from a 5.0 can be bolted on.. you can also put the mustang injectors in it, and they can also be converted from speed density to mass airflow..

i had an '87 ranger with a 2.9 and an automatic for a while, it was pretty good to me.. the early 2.9's were known for overheating and cracking the heads, but in 89 they redesigned the heads and beefed them up in the problem areas.. IIRC, the casting number for the better heads is "89TM". there's a bunch of stuff you can do to the motor, common things are swapping in an 86-87 throttle body (the older ones are much larger), or with a bit or creativeness one from a 5.0 can be bolted on.. you can also put the mustang injectors in it, and they can also be converted from speed density to mass airflow..

Oh that's right, cracked heads not head gaskets. I guess its pretty much the same albeit a more expensive repair.

hey i just got the same thing.....my brother smoked the heads in his 90 ranger 2.9 2wd reg cab long bed...no rust with a perfect body and interior for free!! The 2.9 is a dog and overheating/head cracking up to 1989 is a major problem b/c they didnt put enough casting material on the head....the 90-93 2.9 seem to be a little less prone to cracking heads but still do....I'm swapping a 4.0L engine and trans into mine since its a direct drop in....any question hit me up

• 1 month later...

FINALLY a pic of the rig now that I have resurrected it and brought it to the house. Has a towing package for what it's worth.

Image Not Found

Tranny shifts hard from first; will have to do a drain/fill to see if that improves its performance any. Power steering pump leaks and leaves tennis ball sized spot overnight.

Paint is badly oxidized, but a little Goof-Off takes care of it fairly quickly. In the image above the driver's side of the hood has been restored but the passenger side and pretty much the rest of it hasn't.

Canopy has a 6" crack in it along the top, most likely from the hit on the drivers side; leaks rain and snowmelt into the bed. Canopy has glass intact and locks with key.

Running boards were removed and thrown into bed.