Change over?

The hard part is finding a way to control the auxiliary fan, since the early system uses a sensor in the driver's side radiator tank to activate it.

Is it possible to buy a new radiator with a spot to mount the existing aux fan sensor? or to add one to an XJ radiator at a local radiator shop ? ?

The hard part is finding a way to control the auxiliary fan, since the early system uses a sensor in the driver's side radiator tank to activate it.

Is it possible to buy a new radiator with a spot to mount the existing aux fan sensor? or to add one to an XJ radiator at a local radiator shop ? ?

Somebody reported finding one with the bung. The ones I've seen (including the new style that the radiator shop got by accident when I ordered an old style radiator) did NOT have the bung. So I guess they exist, but I don't know where.

Another option is to ... use a HO thermostat housing, which has a temp sensor for the fan.

The problem is that most sensors available are either variable-resistance senders rather than switches, or don't switch on and off at the correct temperature.

Of course, if you're willing to settle for controlling the aux fan manually, with a switch on the dashboard, then there's no problem.