dana 60

fords are drivers side diff. you'll want either dodge or chevy for a passenger side diff. car-part.com may be of help for hunting junkyards. look for 1 ton trucks. chevy went ifs in I think 88, so you'll want to look for older than that.

For a dodge ram you will need to look at 1993 and older for a passenger side drop dana 60.

dammit. I knew I was missing something. :fs1: In my head I was even picturing that silly CAD design... on the passenger side. still didn't click in my head. :dunno:

but I've got faith that someone will catch those little details. :D

• 2 weeks later...
There are options for flipping the transfercase around.

Why a 60 and not a 44? The 60 is a BIG axle with a big pumpkin.

Are you joking? The man is doing a v-8 swap, and wants a stronger axle. They also take the same amount of work as a 44. If you are going to do the swap... why go for the far weaker axle? :thwak:

Are you joking? The man is doing a v-8 swap, and wants a stronger axle. They also take the same amount of work as a 44. If you are going to do the swap... why go for the far weaker axle? :thwak:

You can make a Dana 44 just as strong as a 60 and the 44 will give you around 2" more ground clearance plus a lighter axle. The only weak point in the 44 that isn't offered yet is the ball joint (Ballistic Fab is working on a heavy duty rebuildable Dana 44 and Dana 60 ball joint). The Dana 44 will just cost a lot more money to build up into that (due to that reason, I'm going the whole Dana 60HP King Pin route till I win the lottery).

If you're dead set on going 60, look for the king pin style as they eliminate that ball joint issue. I think you can shave some off the bottom of the Dana 60 also (don't quote me on that part yet, that's a later project for me so haven't looked into that in depth yet).

If you don't plan on running anything larger than 35's, you might be better off with the Dana 44.

You can make a Dana 44 just as strong as a 60 and the 44 will give you around 2" more ground clearance plus a lighter axle. The only weak point in the 44 that isn't offered yet is the ball joint (Ballistic Fab is working on a heavy duty rebuildable Dana 44 and Dana 60 ball joint). The Dana 44 will just cost a lot more money to build up into that (due to that reason, I'm going the whole Dana 60HP King Pin route till I win the lottery).

If you're dead set on going 60, look for the king pin style as they eliminate that ball joint issue. I think you can shave some off the bottom of the Dana 60 also (don't quote me on that part yet, that's a later project for me so haven't looked into that in depth yet).

If you don't plan on running anything larger than 35's, you might be better off with the Dana 44.

Its easy to shave a 60 to 44 clearance, and if you build the 60 with the same parts as you would the 44 (shafts, etc) then no 44 can compare. It takes big $$$ into a 44 to get to a stock 60 strength.

ya idk yet i really want 60s i did think about the clearance but i also thought about the cost it would be the cheaper route for me to just get 60s then to build up 44s to a 60 so I'm probably going to get 60s and then slowly build them up in to freakin tanks lol i want to do 35s right now and I'm probably going to go bigger later on down the road

ya idk yet i really want 60s i did think about the clearance but i also thought about the cost it would be the cheaper route for me to just get 60s then to build up 44s to a 60 so I'm probably going to get 60s and then slowly build them up in to freakin tanks lol i want to do 35s right now and I'm probably going to go bigger later on down the road

If you are going through the trouble... go 60s, no question. I would take a hard look at some mil-spec 37's on hmmvee 16.5 beadlocks. You can pick them up with 90+% tread for $100/ea.

Then by that logic why stop at a 60? Go rockwells. :roll:

He hasn't said what he wants to build out of it, and running a 60 front and 14BFF rear would be pretty dumb if he is gonna run 32's.

So forgive me for offering an alternative and asking the guy if his eyes are hungrier than his mouth. :thwak: