AX15 question

I'm doing a 4x4 swap, BA 10/5 to AX15 (1997 ax15 out of a TJ if it makes any difference).

Have a internal slave(works) and an external slave(broken reverse), swapping over the bellhousing/bearing retainer from the external(broken reverse) to the internal(good)

question: AX15 slave cylinders are designed for plastic lines. I have metal lines, is there any way to retain the metal lines and still have a working system?

Will and ax4/5 slave work? they will take a metal line.

thanks

You shouldn't try to run rigid line the whole way, you need to have some flex or eventually the hard line will crack. I'm running a braided s/s line from Advance Adapters in mine. It's a bit pricey (about $100) but it works. They have two different size lines, you need the longer of the two, and the kit comes with one fitting to attach it to the slave cylinder. You have to purchase an additional fitting to attach the other end to the master cylinder....you could probably just buy the two fittings and have the line made up locally at a hydraulic shop if you have one available and maybe save some $$$:

the kit comes with one of these fittings, you need two:

Image Not Found

master end:

Image Not Found

slave end:

Image Not Found

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I went with the AX5 slave route so I wouldn't have to bother with replacing any lines, but as it turns out the AX5 slave does not fit the AX15 bellhousing.

So, with that, I do have an AX15 slave that wants plastic lines. I got those connectors, but they don't thread into the master cylinder and there are no threads on the ax15 slave.

So, as I understand it, I need to either get a different master and convert to plastic lines, or have some sort of custom line made up.

I have no idea, any suggestions?

I adapted my steel line to the plastic line using a 1/4"-to-5/16" plumbing adapter. they are never to be used on brake lines, but clutch lines run on way less pressure (no booster). been running it like that since 03. :thumbsup: