Opinions needed Front Trailer Hitch or Winch bumper?

Hello Folks,

Since the departure of my 1998 Wrangler with its Warn M8000 winch I have been pining for a winch for my MJ. There are two choices that I am considering:

Going with a front trailer hitch

http://www.etrailer.com/fmr-1991_jeep_Comanche.htm

Or a Winch bumper like the detours backbone

http://www.detoursusa.com/xjbackbone.php

Both solutions are close to cost neutral after you add all the accessories to the front trailer hitch. My family has alot of property and I used my old Warn to pull heavy trees and debris, abandoned engines and other heavy objects. I also light four wheel (I do not rock crawl with my Comanche or otherwise beat it up) my truck and have been hesitant to take it on trails I think I might get stuck on. At 50 years of age my aching back is reminding me of the days when I let the winch do some of my monthly chores for me. The last straw was trying to drag an old Ford truck motor up a ravine and get it into my bed to take to the steel mill :ack: . Your opinions would be greatly appreciated!

I'm doing the reciever/hitch mount on the front of mine,I like the idea of being able to use the winch front or rear.

Thanks fellas- Considering what I use my truck for having the winch location flexible is a major consideration very little modification, major flexibility are all positives. The only downside I could find is lifting the 100# winch to connect it to the reciever, and losing the front skidplate, but other than that all good qualities. If I were to go the front hitch route does anyone have any suggestions as to the best one? I like the hidden hitch, but it doesn't have any tow rings like the draw tite. image_209027.gif

If you go with the front hitch I'd recommend the Draw-Tite over the Hidden Hitch one. The Draw-Tite sits much higher up. It would require trimming of the air-dam though if you still have one.

Here is another option that quite a bit cheaper than the Detour's setup. You can run your factory bumper with it as well.

gobeserkxjwinchmount.jpg