AW4 clarification/double check

Ok I have done a crap ton (Standard crap ton) of research on the manual to AW4 tranny swap. Ive got an AW4 from a 90 that I am swapping into my 88 5sp.

I am making a list of the electronics that i need to find. Let me know if a have left anything out.

TCU - '86-'90

Transmission wire harness from '86-'90

TPS (as the Manual one is different than the Automatic)

CPS (same issue as the TPS)

Brake pedal Switch

Power/comfort option switch

Auto ignition switch (prevent from starting in anything other than P or N)

If i have left anything out please let me know I am hoping to do this swap soon as i want to drive my manche ASAP haha.

Also i have all the linkage and shifter components. The only thing i have missing is the t-case cross/support member.

if you have any extra tips/advice for ease of installation please let me know.

86 will do you no good. No 4.0s or AW-4s in 86.

There is no difference between an auto or manual CPS.

Pretty sure the ignition switch itself is the same. The NSS, that prevents the truck from starting in anything than P or N, is on the trans.

There's no T-case support crossmember. The BA 10/5 and AW-4 use the same trans crossmember, and there's no difference between 2wd and 4wd. What you're probably thinking of is the T-case skid plate, which is optional. It provides no support.

Forget the power/comfort switch. Jump it in power mode and leave it. Comfort mode is essentially useless.

Pretty much what Geonovast said. The crossmember itself is the same for both applications, but I believe the actual mount that attaches to the crossmember will be different.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about adapting the neutral safety switch and interlocking to the steering wheel/column. Your manual tranny steering column has the flipper for the ignition lock. Unless you're in the habit of trying to start the engine with the shifter in gear and your foot off the brake, the NSS is a waste and a needless complication.

Ok Awesome. well assuming the flywheel is compatible between the auto and manual i should have every thing i need to to do the swap. have you guys done this before? its seems like a brainless bolt in mod for the most part

Changing to auto for personal prefrence and to scrap puegot (can't spell sry haha) tranny

you are correct i am doing the swap for the end result of 4wd. I do have a 4wd AW4 with its t-case. I plane on doing a slip yoke eliminator and driveline kit from advance adapters.

I was just wondering about the actuall transmission swap. can't wait to be 4wd! :thumbsup:

Ok Awesome. well assuming the flywheel is compatible between the auto and manual i should have every thing i need to to do the swap. have you guys done this before? its seems like a brainless bolt in mod for the most part

Changing to auto for personal prefrence and to scrap puegot (can't spell sry haha) tranny

Uh... No. Not even close. You need at Renix flexplate.

Ok Awesome. well assuming the flywheel is compatible between the auto and manual i should have every thing i need to to do the swap.

?????

The auto doesn't use the flywheel. It has a "flex plate" -- the torque converter mass is what does the job of the flywheel.

Ok Awesome. well assuming the flywheel is compatible between the auto and manual i should have every thing i need to to do the swap.

Man, a flywheel and flex plate are two very different things. I don't mean to sound rude, but if you don't know that you might not have the knowledge to undertake this operation.

Haha that's funny I'm sry I actually didn't know that there was a difference between a a flexplate and a flywheel I guess I'm a dumba##.

So what's a wrench again?

Just wait manche will be posted in classified soon cause I can't handle it. Sry guys I give up