Should I get these '97 doors? short timeframe. prices??

Sir_Brando

I have a chance to buy 97 doors but the seller sold the window regulators and the door side moldings. I havent discussed a price yet. Should I still go for the doors even though they arent complete? I haven't read up on converting to 97+ so real quick do i need to get anything besides the door itself? hinges, latch plate? If i should still go for em, what kind of price should i be discussing. He is taking this xj to the crusher soon so i need quick responses. . thanks alot.

also, discussing the complete header.. what kind of price should i be going for on this?

if hes taking it to the crusher offer $75 for both doors. my driverside window motor was like 70 or 80 i think. get the doors seals (not nessary but alot better than the pre 97) and youll need the striker plate latch thingys. theres a little write up in the diy but u can look at that after you get them.

edit: now would be a good time to grab the pwr window cross harness, or atlest cut off the connectors inside the cab if your goin to make your own wiring.

I paid $150 for the front doors, striker pins, weather stripping, wiring plugs, front fenders, header panel and headlight harness from a 98 XJ that was being parted out on CL.

I would have a hard time coughing up more than $50 for incomplete doors.

Replacing the regulators can be a hassle. I've got a '97 ZJ I'm parting out. Would let someone have the doors, complete for $25 each. I've bought complete headers at the P&P for $50. That's grill, all lights and wiring. Different prices, different parts of the country.

Replacing the regulators can be a hassle. I've got a '97 ZJ I'm parting out. Would let someone have the doors, complete for $25 each. I've bought complete headers at the P&P for $50. That's grill, all lights and wiring. Different prices, different parts of the country.

Replacing the regulators in 97+ XJ doors is super easy.

And why would anyone want 97 ZJ doors?? They won't fit anything...except another ZJ. ;)

I'm heading over tomorrow after work to pick up some parts. Both doors -regulators and header panel with everything for 90 bucks. He said 10 for each fender. I'll make sure i get the latch strikers and grab the harness as far back towards the cab as possible. Anything else i need to make sure i grab? i won't be able to go back if i forget anything, he is crushing it. any brackets for the fenders? hood worth anything? tail lights? flares? seats are already taken. don't want to not get something and regret it later with the prices he's throwin out

fenders bolt right up but the flares won't match the rear of your mj. I'm just going to drill a new hole or 2 and put the mj/pre 96 xj flares on the 97 fenders. you can use your mj hood, but 96/97 xjs have different part numbers for hoods, measurments were the same so dunno whats different. if you have buckets seats you could grab the center console/brackets. you could probly grab the whole dash tho it would be an hr or 2 taking it out, and sell it to somebody on here. if i were you id grab everything since its so cheap, and re-sell it to make a few bucks. it should have the 29 spline 8.25, and a hp dana30, either the np231 or 242?. I'm sure some cherokee guys might need a new hatch if its in good condtion...

you can use your mj hood, but 96/97 xjs have different part numbers for hoods, measurments were the same so dunno whats different.

All hoods 87-01 are interchangeable. (older hoods have an additional nutzert for the older style retracting light thing.

Thanks for the replies. I gave the guy $110. I got the header with everything, fenders, inner fenders, horns, rear view mirror, doors with latch strikers. I'm a little disappointed with the doors. No regulators like i talked about. Mirrors were gone. All electronics were stripped out of drivers door. I found a 2dr though, ill call and see about those doors to swap what i don't have on these 97 doors.

Thanks for the replies. I gave the guy $110. I got the header with everything, fenders, inner fenders, horns, rear view mirror, doors with latch strikers. I'm a little disappointed with the doors. No regulators like i talked about. Mirrors were gone. All electronics were stripped out of drivers door. I found a 2dr though, ill call and see about those doors to swap what i don't have on these 97 doors.

Not bad for what you got. Maybe throw on some 2500 mirrors? Or wait for some nice heated mirrors. Lots of 97+ donors around here, what do you need for the door and how much is it worth to you? I'm going to the junkyards tomorrow so let me know asap.

The real score you got was the fenders and header panel, those are super hard to come by, doors are more common.

I have two dented up doors off my donor (99XJ) you could get all of the panels and electronics from. If you get those 2 door switches I will basically give you the doors since I have had zero luck finding the 2 door switch. They are located near Milford Lake.

Believe me, making the 97+ door electronics work in an old MJ is not an easy proposition. You have to run about 20 wires from the driver's door to the passenger door. Here is the link to the writeup in JP Magazine when we attempted this.

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/ ... index.html

While we got the windows to work, we never did get the power door locks operational. I could unlock the doors, but not lock them. Trasborg later said that he figured that we needed to run a couple of relays. But we never did try that since he lives about 100 miles away in the boonies.

So I just lived with it. But then, the windows started acting up too. I said screw it, went to the JY and found a 97+ 4-door with manual windows and grabbed the regulators and door panels. Went home, ripped out all that extra wiring, swapped the regulators and am now perfectly content with manual windows and locks.

Honestly, I could care less if they are power or manual. All I'm really interested in is getting rid of the vent. The doors are going to be the last thing i switch over even though its what i want on the truck the most. The header and fenders are just to easy of a swap to wait until last.

Believe me, making the 97+ door electronics work in an old MJ is not an easy proposition. You have to run about 20 wires from the driver's door to the passenger door. Here is the link to the writeup in JP Magazine when we attempted this.

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/ ... index.html

While we got the windows to work, we never did get the power door locks operational. I could unlock the doors, but not lock them. Trasborg later said that he figured that we needed to run a couple of relays. But we never did try that since he lives about 100 miles away in the boonies.

So I just lived with it. But then, the windows started acting up too. I said screw it, went to the JY and found a 97+ 4-door with manual windows and grabbed the regulators and door panels. Went home, ripped out all that extra wiring, swapped the regulators and am now perfectly content with manual windows and locks.

The wiring doesn't bother me. I work with microprocessors and robotics on the side so i think ill be able to figure out some power windows/locks. might even fab up my own switches.
Not bad for what you got. Maybe throw on some 2500 mirrors? Or wait for some nice heated mirrors. Lots of 97+ donors around here, what do you need for the door and how much is it worth to you? I'm going to the junkyards tomorrow so let me know asap.

The real score you got was the fenders and header panel, those are super hard to come by, doors are more common.

Yeah I'm pretty excited about the fenders and header. Checking it out today, i noticed a little hail damage on top of the fenders but nothing too major. Not sure what i need for the doors, I've never played around with the insides of power doors. I have the door shell, glass, tracks, and panels. He said all they took was the regulators. If there is anything else i need then I'm clueless. As far as i know, i need regulators and mirrors. door lock cylinders are gone too, so whatever goes with that may be missing. I'll inspect them a little more this evening.

gotta go get some paint so i can at least get these fenders and header on.. I'm going to try and avoid rolling around looking like a frankenjeep.

Do the MJ flares go onto the XJ panels just fine?