comanche has a awful knock.help!!!

last nite my truck was fine.and when i left this mornin it was fine.i got 20 minutes down the road and it sounded like a diesel.it has a very loud knock on the drivers side of the motor near the rear of it.what could this be?? also when I'm taking off in 1st gear i have a very loud whining sound.it continues to 2nd and then quits in 3rd and OD.its a 4.0 6cyl and the tranny is a aw-4 automatic.

Take the fan belt off and check the water pump, my brothers did this a few weeks ago and he thought the motor was coming apart, after you take the belt off see if the water pump hub can be wobbled by hand.

The water pump knock can be deceiving as it sends the sound thru the engine.

If it is a trans problem it is prob the flex plate has cracked, i am not sure of this being a problem with Jeeps but i know some GM's had this problem.

well i just went out to move the truck outa the way so i can get out for school in the mornin and noticed.if i put the truck in reverse.the knock stops.then when i start going backwards it starts again.I'm not sure if that is any help or not? and i turned it on bout 20 mins after i shut it off and i didnt have the knock anymore.i didnt put it in gear this time though.

Check your flex plate bolts,they are probably loose

X2

My Girlfriend's XJ had some serious knocking/tranny issues... tightened the flex plate bolts and it was fine... for a week, till the tranny $#!&. :doh:

my .02 cents is flex plate can be cracked !

Check your flex plate bolts,they are probably loose

X2

My Girlfriend's XJ had some serious knocking/tranny issues... tightened the flex plate bolts and it was fine... for a week, till the tranny $#!&. :doh:

my .02 cents is flex plate can be cracked !

Yes, both the bolts and the flexplate were the case on my girlfriend's. However, it does *not* necessarily mean the transmission will fail. We were just unlucky. Fix it ASAP, however.

tightened the bolts on flex plate up.there was 1 loose one hitting the dust plate.problem solved!! jamminz.gif :cheers: but i was drivin today and this only happend for a mile i herd a awful squeeking sound that got worse when you hit the brake.it only did it once though.i don't guess that was anything ot worry about?