tb issues

ok so I'm driving today and hit a railroad crossing not too softly. After the bump throttle body starts popping like crazy and severe power loss. I pulled the #4 plug out and the TB quit backfiring. What could this be? new plugs and wires. Also new cap and rotor. I'm stuck and can't drive on 3 cylinders. Please help.

depends on where on the cam lobe the lifter is sitting...if it's not on the ramp (not being compressed) it's normal to have a bit of looseness (but you shouldn't be able to swing the rocker off of the pushrod). Try tightening the pivot bolt, then move that cylinder to the intake stroke and check it, it should be solid. If not, you can pull the lifter out of the head, clean it, prime it and reinstall it.

See what that does, then we can go from there if that doesn't work.

Jeff

first off since you can take the pushrod out, do so and roll it across a known flat surface like a pane of glass, if it has any wobble in it it will need replaced.

Also look at another rocker arm that you can twirl the pushrod with your finger showing it is on the closed valve orientation.

compare the height of the spring with that one with the one that is loose, that should tell you if you have a stuck valve on the one giving you the problem.

that is something that would be difficult to unstick with the head on the block. taking a rubber mallet and tapping on it with the rocker off could loosen the keeps and the spring would go flying.

I have the equipment to air up the cylinder with compressed air and then I would use a valve spring compressor to take the spring off.

Then i would soak the valve with some sort of carbon remover like seafoam and hook a battery operated drill to the valve stem and slowly rotate the valve with the drill and work it up and down. (take the air pressure off the valve once the drill has been hooked up).

Once it was loose fill the cylinder with air and unhook the drill and re-assemble the spring and rocker arm.

Then i would run a can of seafoam in the oil and drive it.

Honestly it would prob be in your best interest to have a certified mechanic handle it.

check to see if one of the rocker arm bolts has loosened and the rocker arm has slipped off the top of the pushrod.

Jeff

2nd this call ! take off the valve cover and look at springs ,arms ... also if all is good looking ,do a compression test on all with this look at the plugs see any damage ? if ouch !