Need a clutch, but need advise first...

Well, it looks like I need a new clutch... I currently have a 1988 MJ 4.0 4x2 5-speed (Peugot). I would like to convert it over to a 4x4, and right now would be the time to start that process... Unfortunatly, I don't have the time or facilites for a full blown conversion right now. So, what parts should be changed over so I do not duplicate efforts? I understand that I should probably find a good 4x4 AX15 (is that the right one?) tranny and do a tranny remove/replace since I'm paying for the clutch labor anyways. If I do this, there isn't any "wasted" labor or parts, right? After the tranny is in, I can come back and add the front and rear axles and transfer case, right?

Also, worst case, if I need to put in a new clutch/pressure plate, is the clutch/pressure plate the same for the AX15 and the Peugot? Thanks.

Clarke

You'll need to mate a transfer case to a 4wd transmission in order to use it. Which will mean you need a rear driveshaft too. The good news is you can not worry about the front axle and drveshaft for a while. That and normally they'll sell you the tranny tcase combo cheaperish...

And yes, AX-15 or the newer NV3500.

So, what you're saying is I need to plan on a new rear end, tranny, transfer case, and drive shaft, right? I don't know if I can wait that long, so I might just "waste" money on a new clutch for the Peugot tranny for now and then deal with the swap in the future... Decisions, decisions...

I was really hoping to use the limited slip transfer case from a

Cherokee Limited. I've been told it'll work with the AX15. Hopefully this would work.

You'll need to mate a transfer case to a 4wd transmission in order to use it. Which will mean you need a rear driveshaft too. The good news is you can not worry about the front axle and drveshaft for a while. That and normally they'll sell you the tranny tcase combo cheaperish...

And yes, AX-15 or the newer NV3500.

So from what donor car can I get the NV3500?

You won't need a rear end, just a rear driveshaft as the one you've got will be about 10" too long. Although, if you have a D35 rear end, I'd say "Hey, might as well get rid of it aswell."

But that depends on what you're going to do with it. Which leads me to asking, what are your plans? A small lift, 31" tires at most? Leave it mostly stock? Or try to throw 40" tires under it?

The full time/part time Np242 will bolt up to an AX-15. I think certain cherokees would come with the AX-15 already mated too one, again to save money and headaches. The spline counts on the transmission outputs and inputs did change every now and again; I could get you a conclusive list if you feel you'll need it. One thing to be aware with it is that it is slightly weaker than a NP231 (part time only tcase) in stock form, but doesn't have much in the way of upgrade options. A SYE for a 242 does not replace the main output shaft, which seems to be a point prone to failure on the 231. Wether the 242's output shaft is as weak, I don't know; as I've never torn one apart.

NV3500 came in 00-01 cherokees. It probably comes in a bunch of other vehicles too. It's stronger than a AX-15 and synchronized in reverse. It'll cost a pretty penny though.

I'll also point out that there's a certain point where you have to debate keeping your current 'manche. Buying one that is already 4wd would save headaches and money if you're going to just keep it stock or very mild. The next best option is to buy a whole cherokee that has the options you want as a donor. I'm pretty sure you could get a 87-88 Cherokee with a 4.0/AX-15/NP242/D44 and non-vacuum disconnect HPD30. It's be slightly rare, but there's lots of cherokees out there, and it would be the best bet for a parts donor.

Edit, I really want to have somebody make a good writeup for the 2wd - 4wd swap, as it comes up quite a lot and would probably be clearer than my long, rambling and disjointed posts. Then we could have a tech sticky!

How do the 2wd and 4wd AX15's differ at the tailshaft? Is it simply a bolt-on slipyoke in the 2wd model that can be removed for adding a transfer case? Or does one need an entirely different tranny for 4wd?

Reason I ask these questions, you may not be able to go to the AX15 and 2wd and be able to use the same tranny for 4wd.

Thats a good point. I think they are the same except the 4 WD ones, the t-case is a female end and is set to recieve the output from the tranny. Personally I wouldnt even think of running a manual for a trail rig. I have seen to many rigs lose forward momentum, cause of a clutch stall. PLus the AW4 is just about indestructaible :D

My plans are to find a 4.3, and a turbo 350 or 400, and change the first gear ratiop to a 3 something, and let her ride.

Patrick

The 2WD trannies have an extension housing bolted to the intermediate plate vs. a shortened flanged end on the 4WD one (to attach the TC to). Also, the main shaft is longer on a 2WD than a 4WD. You have to disassemble the entire tranny and swap mainshafts, and find/bolt up the 4WD rear to convert it.

I have a .pdf of the AX15 service manual, in case you feel frisky enough to try to convert it :) Glad to send it to ya!

Jeff

edit: for anyone that needs it, here's a link:

http://cache1.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav ... n_AX15.pdf