Can you swap the oil filter mount from a '91 to an '89

Hey Brutha's!

My '89 takes a Fram [worst oil filters ever made] #3985. All my other Heeps take a Fram 16 [fortunately I can substitute a Mopar for those]. I'd like to put the same filter on all of them. Yea I can use Purolator or whatever - thats not the point. I want to be able to use the same filter on all my 4.0L Jeeps.

The question is, is it possible to remove the filter mount from the '89 and swap in one from say a '91 so I can use a different filter? I can go yank one from a boneyard XJ and try it but I thought maybe its already been done. Seems simple enuf.

WHY?? Because where I am, Fram is the most easily available and most hard to find in a 3985 but I can get mopars for about $5

Why do I hate Fram? I work with them daily and they are trash. The threads are machined poorly, spot welds are loose, I have seen oil pressure peak after a Fram filter change then level out after changing the filter with a different one. Sometimes they come without gaskets, and lastly - they are made in countries you don't want to visit. Ever. My opinion. And those are like buttholes right? we all got em.

...but use a hex head bolt on both (if not previously equipped). If you have a Torx on the 91 unit, it can be swapped for a hex bolt of the same size.

It "takes" a Fram?? or the dip-wad at the parts counter "sells" you a Fram?? What's wrong with Fram??? The drain back valve is a piece of "outsourced" foreign crap and you'll start dry every time, not good for your mill.

NAPA Gold (Wix), Purolator, even STP is a better filter. If you want to see the difference in filters I think NAPA has a cut-away display in their stores of a NAPA Gold vs. a Fram. It's like a Jack Daniels and Bourbon DeLuxe tasting, one is good, the other is doo-doo.

ya you can swap out that oil filter neck with a 91 neck from the junkyard. 1991 4.0 high output oil filter neck has 3/4x16 marked on the fire wall this is the on you are looking for.

i have seen to styles you want the one that the oil filter threads on from the top. :wrench: you will need a 5/8 ratcheting wrench & some gloves. and find new Orings for the 91 oil neck.

5.0 mustang oil filter uses +1 quart & allows you to go 5000 miles between oil changes

friends don't let friends use fram!!!

...but use a hex head bolt on both (if not previously equipped). If you have a Torx on the 91 unit, it can be swapped for a hex bolt of the same size.

It "takes" a Fram?? or the dip-wad at the parts counter "sells" you a Fram?? What's wrong with Fram??? The drain back valve is a piece of "outsourced" foreign crap and you'll start dry every time, not good for your mill.

NAPA Gold (Wix), Purolator, even STP is a better filter. If you want to see the difference in filters I think NAPA has a cut-away display in their stores of a NAPA Gold vs. a Fram. It's like a Jack Daniels and Bourbon DeLuxe tasting, one is good, the other is doo-doo.

Didnt read the post did ya?

Guys plz READ the post k?

I don't walk into a parts store for filters - I WORK IN ONE!!!!!!!!! why drive all over town for one filter when I sell 3 types and can buy ONE for all 3 Heeps? I sell Fram, Mopar and Motorcraft but none that fit the 89. Even Walmarts store brand 'Supertech' beats fram into the dirt. They at least are made in the USA.

Thanks for the response. I will hit the boneyard for a neck and also pick up new o-rings for it. Thats a common source for leaks, may as well stop it b4 it starts.

Ps - I just HATE bourbon whiskey.. :ack:

You're right, I got hung up on Fram right off, I didn't read past my version of " I have a Fram, what do I do"

Anyhoo, I have read threads that have eliminated the adapter altogether, and just screwed the filter right in to the block.

All I know for sure is hex head...and...the earth is not flat.

P.S.

Tequila and beer is my first choice.

:cheers:

How do you all feel about AMSOIL filters and oil? I just recently picked up some 0W-30 and a filter direct from AMSOIL, wanted your opinion on it.

Sorry :oops: :hijack:

ah heck its a oil thread so.... ;)

0w-30 is awesome for brand new engines that are super tight. Rice burners for example. The first index is the viscosity at start-up, the second is at operating temp. In our old mills, you'll probably leak oil all over the damm place but hey it will crank over at sub zero temps like its July!! Viscosity defined literally means 'resistance to flow'.

I see a hundred oil filters a week and in 4 years I have NEVER seen an Amsoil come off a vehicle. So......... :dunno:

I run conventional 5w-30 and 10w-30 year round and have never had any issues at all cept recently I put synthetic 5w-30 in the 89 MJ and it rattles at start-up for a sec then quiets down. no clue why.. :huh???: never dun it b4

Hey Rick, didn't know you were still around. I look for your truck whenever I drive by going to the Post Office there in P-town. NAPA good - Fram bad. See ya later image_209027.gif

Dangit man stop by waldo world and say hello ok ya worthless turd you!!! geez, mon! :fs1: